SamCarroll

Faux Runner
Staff member
Jan 25, 2011
Northern California
Look at you with all your fancy answers and crap!
9c146_1238584287_seinfeld_had_enough.gif

:roflsquared:

I wish i used better clear on my GMC emblem :nono:

BOO5TED

Resident Smartass
Jan 7, 2011
ATL
Yes, spray them with clear. I plan to buff mine this weekend with some compound, hopefully REALLY make it shine then.

Colyn.

Acrophobic
Mar 17, 2012
Alma, GA
They're already red, why? :think:

Because I have black border GMC tails since someone felt the need to bust my 05+ Silvy tails that were in perfect condition they also cut my harnesses and I got new ones but my right brake light has never worked since...

My sockets from the GMC's wouldn't fit in the Silvy's either.

My Silverados didn't fit in my GMC tails so I made them lol...

So y'all tell me what is the best way to get these to come out nice when candying... I've got everything listed but some more sandpaper I will be getting some 2000 grit to smooth it out before paint... I guess I'm just asking for a step by step process so I dont mess up understand? Thanks

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy SIII using Tapatalk 2

BOO5TED

Resident Smartass
Jan 7, 2011
ATL
So y'all tell me what is the best way to get these to come out nice when candying... I've got everything listed but some more sandpaper I will be getting some 2000 grit to smooth it out before paint... I guess I'm just asking for a step by step process so I dont mess up understand? Thanks

Sand the lights with 800 to get any scratches out. This will also get any raised lettering off if you choose.

Wash with Dawn dish washing liquid. (or similar soap to remove any oil, grease, contaminates)

Dry with anti-lint cloth. (you can usually get prep wipes at your local auto parts store)

Spray a LIGHT coat of adhesion promoter.

Wait 5-10 minutes.

Spray another LIGHT coat of adhesion promoter.

Wait 5-10 minutes.

Spray a LIGHT coat of candy.

Wait 5-10 minutes.

Spray another LIGHT coat of candy.

Wait 5-10 minutes

At this point if you want it a darker red keep repeating the process of spraying the candy until you get the color you want. **REMEMBER** The more coats of candy you spray the darker the outcome will be.

If you are happy with the color, wet sand LIGHTLY with 1200 or higher to really smooth out any orange peel.

Dry with anti-lint cloth.

Spray a LIGHT coat of clear,

Wait 5-10 minutes.

Spray another coat of clear.

Wait 5-10 minutes.

Install on truck and admire your hard work.

Once the light is really dry (usually a couple of days in nice weather) you can use a LIGHT buffing compound to really make it shine.

If you do all this on a nice sunny day it could make drying times shorter. Also remember try not to do this on a windy day because you will get trash in the coats of paint/clear.

Oktain

Canuck Admin
Staff member
Feb 9, 2012
Sudbury, ON
Has anyone's Red VHT faded to pink yet? I've been finding that all of the lights my friends have tinted with VHT/Cleared/Buffed after a year now are not anywhere near as dark as they were... I would assume the red VHT would fade to pink eventually.

BOO5TED

Resident Smartass
Jan 7, 2011
ATL
Mine has only been done a couple of weeks but a set I did back in 05-06 for a friend are still fine. :shrug:

Oktain

Canuck Admin
Staff member
Feb 9, 2012
Sudbury, ON
lol we be movin' away now... snow's comin' bish. You southerners get the same amount of sun all year... or just aboot.