Can i use an H pipe

Blue97

RUNSWITHBEER
Oct 13, 2013
I have a 97 Silverado 5.7 and I just installed a Flowmaster pipe with high flow cats and It really woke up my truck.......Now I want to do more exhaust work to it..... Im running the stock intermediate pipe into a DI/SO Flowmaster 40 series but I want to maybe go to a Magnaflow, can I still add a H pipe going into a single muffler like that? or is it only for "true duals"

I also want to run the pipe over the axle and dump it, currently it is right in front of the passengers tire with a 3" tip and I hate it.

I seen that Dynomax has the intermediate pipe with the H built in, but Magnaflow has the same pipe without the H crossover so im wondering if the crossover is really needed...If it gives more torque like I have read about I definately want it.

the 5.7 is all stock and im only running CAI, I want to get this all done before I drop it back down..

Anybody have any experience or input with this...

Last edited:
Steve,

exhaust will not be your limiting factor on your truck, its the motor.

plus if you have the stock manifolds, that and the flow master are the downside to your setup.

proformance wise, if you really want to upgrade,

long tubes into a y pipe of 3" to a straight through muffler (magnaflow, spintech, dynomax) and then out the back.

OBS's will not be power houses with a factory motor.

Steve,

exhaust will not be your limiting factor on your truck, its the motor.

plus if you have the stock manifolds, that and the flow master are the downside to your setup.

proformance wise, if you really want to upgrade,

long tubes into a y pipe of 3" to a straight through muffler (magnaflow, spintech, dynomax) and then out the back.

OBS's will not be power houses with a factory motor.

Thanks , im not looking to build a race truck. I know the engine is limited but the flowmaster DID improve the performance of my lil motor.....Now I am removing the flowmaster 40 series and wanting to go to a Magnaflow muffler.. I do not want to go to headers been there aint doing that atleast not right now.....

So ok, I will just leave it alone and run what I have on it now.... It runs real good I was just really wanting to change out the muffler but if I could get gains of any kind I wanted to do it all at once...

Maybe when I say gains you think im talking about getting another 20 HP but im really not

Sounds good steve.

If you really want gains instead of a set of headers in the future, a LS swap would be the hot ticket. i will eventually LS swap my OBS once im dont with bagging and bodywork

That would be sweet but not looking to get that involved with it, just simple mods is all im looking for...But I am surprised how good my truck runs, but I do take care of her!

i daily drove my truck every day on a custom tune from blackbear.

my OBS and my NBS have both been daily drivers with a blackbear tune,

Really, how did you get the tune and drive it at the same time.......you didn't have to send it in?

I need my truck EVERYDAY that's why I was saying Hypertech.........otherwise I would go that route....Much better from what everyone says

Custom tunes are much, much better than an off the shelf tuner. Plus, they are both comparable in price. Read some threads from people switching from a box tuner to a custom tune, that should be more than enough to convince you.