cam install, parts needed?

Jared

Administrator
Feb 8, 2012
North Dallas
besides the obvious cam/lifter/springs, what else?

gaskets:
intake
water pump
timing cover
head

need complete breakdown so we can get it ordered today

Are you going to keep the timing chain? Or swap out for new?

I though you could reuse water pump :think:

New Crank Bolt
Pulley Puller
RTV
Spring compressor tool

Im sure theres more, cant think of any right off the top of my head.

Check out LS1.tech. there was a write up on swapping cam and gave a list of parts needed. I thing BGERALD Post this link in his cam swap thread on GMFS http://www.gmfullsize.com/forum/showthread.php?t=256694

You got alot covered, wheres the cma comming from? EVerything through TSP is a nice route, as they always give you everything to need for the job with all gm pieces.

Intake manifold gaskets
2 waterpump gaskets
Timing cover gaskets
Head gaskets
Head dowels
Injector 0 rings(or reuse old depnding on how they feel)
Valve cover gaskets(reusable, but there cheap)
Coolant crossover orings or plate gaskets...depends which one truck has
Head Bolts(ARPS are nice)
Longer crank pulley to install Crank
New ARP or GM crank bolt

GM fuel line disconnect tool(found locally cheap)

Would also rec titanium retainers and clips for valve springs

Let me know if you need a Valve spring compressor, I have the Comp Cams Dual unit, makes life muich easier...I'll purolate it to you.

Last edited:
all factory spec shit, his truck took a dump, it's a work truck. He wants to go with a small upgrade, but doesn't want to fool with a tune. 2006 LT3 crew with 175k miles, and the first 2 years he had a company truck. Now that he runs his own business, he drives the piss out of it.

drop in?

his lifters starting make horrible noise, truck was stumbling, and a couple other issues, so he has started replacing shit. For some reason he believes it is in part the cam, so, he wants it replaced. I dont know what the problem is, but he changed plugs and wires, and the knock sensors from what he told me.

Search Jared, Im sure this topic has been cover many times :crazy:

Edit: When you do swap, do bad ass write up. Need one on this site!!

I only replace water pump gaskets, timing cover gasket, and front seal when doing a cam swap. I've never replaced intake gaskets or valve cover gaskets but that's not on a 200k mile motor either. Don't forget you need a new crank bolt as the old one is not reusable.

Just saw you mentioned swapping lifters. If you're doing that, you'll need new head gaskets, head bolts and lifters obviously. I have OEM part numbers for most of this at home if you're ordering OEM stuff. As for head bolts, what year is it? There are two different sets of bolts. The one you use depends on the year of the block.

Last edited:
Code:
Part	Price	Quantity	

LS2 Lifter Trays	4	12595365
LS7 Lifters		1	12499225
Oil Pump		1	12586665
Oil Pump O-ring	1	12584922
6L Head Gaskets	2	12589227
Front Crank Seal	1	12585673
Timing Cover Seal1	12574294
H2O Pump Gaskets2	12610311
Crank Bolt		1	12557840

4.8/5.3 MLS Head Gasket2	12575329
2004+ Head Bolts	2	17800568
Knock Sensor Harness	1	12601822
Knock Sensor		2	12589867
Exhaust Studs		3	11589154
Exhaust Nuts		3	11609746

drop in?

his lifters starting make horrible noise, truck was stumbling, and a couple other issues, so he has started replacing shit. For some reason he believes it is in part the cam, so, he wants it replaced. I dont know what the problem is, but he changed plugs and wires, and the knock sensors from what he told me.

Drop in motor from junkyard with less mileage

sent from a shitty bionic

Last edited: