Cal Speed LT install

Jared wanted me to post my shit here too so here it is.

Last week I ordered some good shit and it's started coming in so I couldn't wait to share lol:
Cal Speed 1 3/4" headers and 3" ORY
3" SS summit band clamps
3" ball flange
3" summit cutout (gonna just be a blockoff plate for now, gotta let the account recover a bit before I get the electric valve)
3" Dynomax Bullet
3" SI 2.5" DO Spintech Super Pro Street muffler 9000 series

Got this shit in the last couple days
parts071.jpg

parts074.jpg

parts078.jpg

Headers are supposed to be here tomorrow. If so, install will commence ASAP and hopefully get the rest of it welded up at the exhaust shop Thursday. Got wedding shit friday/saturday so hopefully it won't fight me too much.

I'm gonna do a writeup, even though we already have 2. But I'm 4x4 and we don't have a writeup for that so I'll report back with pics and any issues/things I could see being an issue for others. Can't freaking wait to hear it! :pepper:

Oh yeah, gonna run it all the way out the back like Col10's truck, but with dual 5x18" tips I've already got.
6inexhausttipduals.jpg

And from today
HEADERS CAME IN TODAY!!!
Apparently my neighborhood is almost at the end of this FedEx route so they didn't get here till 6 :argh: But I have a job interview tomorrow and a buddies wedding shit friday and saturday so the earliest it'll start is Sunday. And that's if my finances are still there. There's a possibility it may havta wait a little longer till I have money for the exhaust shop, we'll see. Anywho, on to the pics

Box was beat to shit, had my kinda worried
headers011.jpg

Came out pretty good though, just a few very minor issues.
headers002.jpg

headers003.jpg

Whole setup
headers014.jpg

headers021.jpg

A couple of the tubes were slightly out of round at the ends, but nothing that bit of work in the vise won't fix
headers028.jpg

headers030.jpg

headers035.jpg

And a couple of scuffs on the primaries and collectors, no biggie, I'll scuff em during install anyway
headers051.jpg

headers054.jpg

I had to buy a 3" coupler from spintech since I don't have my stocker any more and it tries to seat against the weld on the Cal Speed piece, not sure if it's gonna seal like that. I may just use both sides of the spintech coupler.
headers016.jpg

headers018.jpg

headers020.jpg

Other than those VERY minor issues, I'm impressed. Great finish, great welds, nice thick flanges. Well worth the money. Hopefully they fit nicely as well
headers032.jpg

headers040.jpg

headers042.jpg

headers038.jpg

headers044.jpg

headers046.jpg

headers048.jpg

And of course, gotta have a sticker. Wish Cal Speed would make some too
headers056.jpg

My favorite pic of all the goodies :pepper: :turbohump:
headers005.jpg

Also, no bolts so gonna havta go to Ace and get some. Gonna use the supplied gaskets with copper RTV. Had good luck in the past with that style of gasket/RTV.
Just hope my account's still good after this weekend so I can put them on

Last edited:
On the ovaled mandrel bent pipe, the pipe that slides in it is the same exact shape so they slip and fit together with no problem. No need to vise/round it. Just slip the attachment part into it and rotate to wherever you want it.

Are they supposed to be that way? I figured out that they'd fit together the way they are tonight when I was just messing around with them. No biggie either way

Looks great Zach, going to be a good setup. So why are you installing the bullet resonator before the spintech? Ive been hearing some good things about spintech, but dont think ive ever heard one, need to check youtube. And that last picture is pure win. Love the Bass Pro JErky and look like le Dr Pepper. Smart eats my friend :shake:

I reused my oem gaskets at 80k because they were still in good shape, and I didn't break any of my oem bolts, so reused them as well. no problems at all. And I did use the red silicone gasket stuff as well. Just make sure you soak your bolts days in advance everyday until install. And something else that may help you prevent leaks as well, as we did this on my install, we wrapped aluminum foil around the pipes then put the band clamps, to kinda prevent any leaks. And the only tiny leak I have is at the y pipe collector, where the donut piece is supposed to seat in the Walker oem pece I bought since previous exhaust was cut.

Hope this helps. We are all here to help you with install, so dont be afraid to ask, and make sure t get a tune or retuned after as well for maximum benefits after install.

Looks great Zach, going to be a good setup. So why are you installing the bullet resonator before the spintech? Ive been hearing some good things about spintech, but dont think ive ever heard one, need to check youtube. And that last picture is pure win. Love the Bass Pro JErky and look like le Dr Pepper. Smart eats my friend :shake:

I reused my oem gaskets at 80k because they were still in good shape, and I didn't break any of my oem bolts, so reused them as well. no problems at all. And I did use the red silicone gasket stuff as well. Just make sure you soak your bolts days in advance everyday until install. And something else that may help you prevent leaks as well, as we did this on my install, we wrapped aluminum foil around the pipes then put the band clamps, to kinda prevent any leaks. And the only tiny leak I have is at the y pipe collector, where the donut piece is supposed to seat in the Walker oem pece I bought since previous exhaust was cut.

Hope this helps. We are all here to help you with install, so dont be afraid to ask, and make sure t get a tune or retuned after as well for maximum benefits after install.

You sir are correct, love me some jerky and the good doctor :hng:

The idea for the bullet is to kill a bit of the rasp/drone. I haven't 100% decided on the bullet yet. I keep going back and forth about how quiet I want my truck to be. I've got the cutout for when I wanna be loud, but I kinda miss not being able to hear the exhaust inside the cab. I may just wait on the bullet and see how she sounds with just the spintech, and weld the bullet in later down the road if it's too loud.

I'll see what my gaskets look like, but I'm at 157k so I doubt I'll reuse them. Gonna give the supplied ones a shot, even tho Jared says they're shit. I'll def be soaking the bolts really good, but just for piece of mind I'm gonna get new ones cuz I've seen plenty of these break. :hmm: The aluminum foil is a good idea! Definitely gonna use some and see how it works. We'll see how my y-pipe flange seats, I've got both the male and female side from spintech so I'll swap the cal speed piece out if needed.

You, Jared, and Brandon have been huge helps so far :shake: I'm sure I'll have a couple questions for y'all when it comes time. Looks like it may have to wait a little longer than I'd hoped tho, finances are starting to get a little low and I've got job interviews left and right and can't afford the down time, but we'll see. I appreciate the advise man :beer:

No problem Zach. I know what a bullet does, and I also know it is a resonator to tone down the rasp/drone. Just wondering why if you haven't tried the spintech, why install it just yet. If youre goign to the exhaust shop eventually, I would go ahead and get it all installed, thats what a cutout is for. :evil:

I would definitely use new gaskets, but wouldnt use the supplied ones, thats just me. I would have to agree with Jared on this one, dont install them, have them leak to uninstall and do it over again. Do it right the first time to prevent headaches later down the road. I will look around for oem gaskets for you. Can be had for relatively cheap. Definitely use the aluminum foil :imo: and please by good bolts to replace your oem ones, dont use the supplied bolts if they were given to you. Get everythind needed once, and do it once.

Can take you about a day to do all of this. Took me and some friends a couple of hours. I bought a set of Calspeed headers, sold them to Peyton a week later, who in turn sold them to Adjusted (brandon). I then bought LPPS the next day lol. Love my LPPS, wrapped everything in aluminum foil, tightened down the band clamps, and was good to go. Truck currently has the LPPs with 3" ORY, into 3" cutout, into a 34" maganaflow, all 3" piping. And I also have an e-cutout, so it tends to me pretty fun.

As stated, we are here to help you. Take these words of advice to heart, will save you headaches and money in the long run. I can give you my address to send me the jerky and the Doctor :jared:

I DID not used the supplied gaskets, I DID use the supplied bolts...problem?

I would use supplied bolts before REUSED my oem bolts!

:facepalm2: Doh, I shoulda known you knew what it does lol. Yeah, I'd hate to have to pay extra money later to put it in. I'm gonna try to rig something up at home to hear it before I take it to the exhaust shop to try to make a decision on the bullet. I want a mean/good sound, but don't want it to be obnoxious in the cab anymore and the spintech is a very small muffler so it'll probably be pretty loud

I hear ya on the gaskets. I guess I will pick some OEM ones up. Hopefully I'll have a job here soon so my account will recover and I can do this. I actually didn't get any bolts with them, so I'm going to go to Ace and get some either grade 3 or 5 bolts. Brandon (Adjusted) said grade 3 should be fine.

Oh yeah, there was some wiring in with them. What is that for? Extending the o2s?

You want that particular can of dr and empty bag of jerky? :jared:

I DID not used the supplied gaskets, I DID use the supplied bolts...problem?

I would use supplied bolts before REUSED my oem bolts!

No supplied bolts so trip to Ace is in store

and if you just browse here, gmfs and pt.net you will hear the same. reuse or get NEW oem gaskets

Yeah, I was browsing around those sites last night. I suppose I will go get some OEM ones. Is there a particular reason nobody like these style gaskets? :think: Just curious why everybody hates on them, I've had good luck with them in the past

they are just shit quality...most likely fail prematurely...just not worth the hassle to replace

email Jim and tell him you did not get bolts, they should have came with some

the wires are for extensions, we did not need them and did not use them

Those cork-style gaskets are great from the get-go, they do a great job of sealing on a new install due to their thickness, however, after years of use they tend to shrink and/or deteriorate from the constant temperature changes and vibration. Similar gaskets were used on some Dmax transmission pans from the factory (though they were surrounded by rubber), and they eventually failed for the same reason I just stated and the trans leaked badly. They are cheaper priced than metal factory style gaskets too I would assume - so, yes, pick ya up some new gaskets from GM - I think they go for under $30 a pair.

The wiring is not necessary if you plan on getting a tune, and like james said - definitely get a tune, I saw a little difference in power/responsiveness after the install, but after a tune i felt a HUGE difference.

And jimmy - doooo itttt

I agree with Brandon and Jared as well. Jimmy, definitely do it. This is one mod that is worth it. Nice to have that little extra humph. Love my LPPS, my ecsb had pacesetter lt's and ORY.. Calspeed is a vendor, and I am sue will cut you a break. It's all about personal preference in what you need, they all do the same thign, it's just the name.

And Huck, awhile back you said you and Tony (boo5ted) had the only certain things, that's false :imo: had mine for a couple of months as well. :shake:

Actually thinking about taking mine off now, not original anymore. Too many fgts have it now.

:boo5ted: