CAI, Exhaust, and tune. Where to next?

LOVINTHESTORM

Aug 19, 2012
Nashville, TN
I've got a Volant CAI and Flowmaster exhaust. And next month I will be traveling to Atlanta to get a Black Bear live tuning. So I've bee thinking about what to do next. Now keep in mind that I have only had the truck about a year with only 18,000 miles on it so I'm still under warranty. I drive a 2011 Sierra 2WD 5.3 with 3.42. Now ther my not be much I can do right now and not break my warranty but I will be doing many mods in the future and I wanted to know what to do first. I know I want longtube headers. I was thinking something like Kooks ceramic coated or ARH but I'm not sure if there is something better. I do plan on putting a 4/6 drop on the truck with some 24's nd I'm not sure if the gears will handle that. Thinking I might need to go with a 3.73. I also need to beef up the brakes but not sure if I need bigger rotors or what and should I upgrade the brake lines as well. I hear of people getting vette servos but I'm not even sure what advantages that comes with. I see people porting throttle bodies , upgrading cams, full rails , plugs and wires. Help me out guys. I'm obviously not a mechanic but I want to learn. I need to be school a little on what and where to go next. And thanks in advance for the info.

being an 11, you likely have a 6 speed. due to the 6 speed, you cant upgrade a servo, and 3.42s are about the equivalent of 3.73s with the 4 speed auto....24s do not dictate gearing, as a tire can be same overall diameter no matter what size wheel, if you lower, youll go with a smaller tire, which in turn, Is actually equivalent to lowering gear ratio....So no you dont need a gear or tranny upgrade. Im sure LPP or Calspeed make headers for your truck, which will likely be your most economical route. As far as plugs and wires, you only have 18K miles, so no. If youd like to add some performance, then yes a cam upgrade would be in your future, but it isnt cheap, and you have to do DOD delete and all that good jazz (google it, pt has plenty threads lol). Fuel rails and throttle bodies wont be of concern to you unless you begin to make much more power. Make sure you have AFM tuned out with the tune. Unless you just have ungodly amounts of cash to blow, Id go with some headers, a better exhaust (blowmaster sucks), and start on suspension/wheels tires, exterior mods....no real need to mess with the brakes the stockers will stop it just fine, unless you have a habit of being stupid. lol

being an 11, you likely have a 6 speed. due to the 6 speed, you cant upgrade a servo, and 3.42s are about the equivalent of 3.73s with the 4 speed auto....24s do not dictate gearing, as a tire can be same overall diameter no matter what size wheel, if you lower, youll go with a smaller tire, which in turn, Is actually equivalent to lowering gear ratio....So no you dont need a gear or tranny upgrade. Im sure LPP or Calspeed make headers for your truck, which will likely be your most economical route. As far as plugs and wires, you only have 18K miles, so no. If youd like to add some performance, then yes a cam upgrade would be in your future, but it isnt cheap, and you have to do DOD delete and all that good jazz (google it, pt has plenty threads lol). Fuel rails and throttle bodies wont be of concern to you unless you begin to make much more power. Make sure you have AFM tuned out with the tune. Unless you just have ungodly amounts of cash to blow, Id go with some headers, a better exhaust (blowmaster sucks), and start on suspension/wheels tires, exterior mods....no real need to mess with the brakes the stockers will stop it just fine, unless you have a habit of being stupid. lol

Listen to Austin, good advice right there^

Just doing what you did COULD void your warranty already...

I wouldn't spend that kind of money on headers personally, for what little you gain, I would get a cheaper set and be done with it. You're in TN, so yo don't need to worry about too bad of weather. There are budget stainless headers for way cheaper.

buy a better flowing exhaust, flowmaster isn't highly regarded.

do upgrade your braking system. stainless braided lines help a bit too

you're warranty will be gone as soon as you tune it unless youre buying another ecm, having it tuned, and keeping your stock ecm stock

you're warranty will be gone as soon as you tune it unless youre buying another ecm, having it tuned, and keeping your stock ecm stock
I plan on getting the AutoCal which allow me to flash it back to factory settings. I've already talk to the service manager at my dealership and it said that wouldn't be a problem. the guys at my dealership are real cool so I will not lose my warranty because of the tune.

I plan on getting the AutoCal which allow me to flash it back to factory settings. I've already talk to the service manager at my dealership and it said that wouldn't be a problem. the guys at my dealership are real cool so I will not lose my warranty because of the tune.

just so you know, the dealership can tell when its been flashed, so if they see you flashed it 2 days before you take it in, they can tell its been tuned and will void it,

you have to choose, mods, or warranty, i told the GF no major mods on her 11' until the warranty is out.

just so you know, the dealership can tell when its been flashed, so if they see you flashed it 2 days before you take it in, they can tell its been tuned and will void it,

you have to choose, mods, or warranty, i told the GF no major mods on her 11' until the warranty is out.
I really do appreciate your input. I am very aware they can tell it's be flashed back But they can't prove what has been done only that something has been done. I won't have even consider a tune until I talked to the dealership. I was told as long as I flashed it back to factory before I brought it in that it wouldn't be a problem. Heck the man even told me to just leave it in the truck and he would flash it for me. I was given the green light by the service manger to get the tune and then I proceeded with the process.

Only on Global A vehicles, which gas cars and trucks do not apply. With the current methods, they can not tell if it has been flashed.

I also agree with Ginger. The dealership has alot of control especially the service manager. Even when they are real cool this is there business and need to make money. Deals and handshakes only go so far. just food for thought. The more informed your are the better.