building le system for ext cab

personally like the sound of forward firing opposed to my downfiring pro box i had. Granted, my forward firing is custom made to my subs specs and my pro box was a little on the small side.
But that setup should be just about right.

i agree with gmc00z. forward firing, ported box FTW. don't pic subs to fit the box....pic good subs and build to fit. ;)

If I do a ported box, ill still use a db sub, just only be able to fit one.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Forward firing bothers me, I cant have the sub exposed to my toolbox and peoples feet

put a grill on it? I always tell people to watch their feet. Plus, mine is behind my drivers door and my seat has to be back a ways for me to drive comfortably so no one sits behind me usually. I'd port a single 12" IMO

not sure if a 12" will fit under set though, unless the box really sticks out from underneath a little.

Here's mine
IMG_2052.jpg

wow, that looks great man. Did you raise your seat at all? or just build her to fit? I'm no box builder myself, but a friend of mine is an excellent box builder, does show cars and shit.

no seat lift, seat still locks in place in stock location. Sticks out about 1/2". I got mine built by a smaller local shop, he did a hell of a job. Made it so that i can port it if i ever wanted to later on.

competely agree, my guy has since gone out of business so im not sure what size port to cut for adn all that. I probably could figure it out with some help from an audio guru but im satsified with the sound i get out of it being sealed.

wont have enough room for two ported unless you use 8's. forward firing is dumb in my opinion, not only is in an invitation for the subs to get messed up, it doesnt give the sub something to properly load the sound off of. i'll bet that in gmc00z's downfire box, it was way too close to the floor and sounded muffled or not as clean as it should. i built my box and it has 3 inches between the floor and the subs at full excursion. and if you going with one sub ported without taking the time for a seat lift and buying a prefab, it honestly doesnt sound like you really mind whether or not is sounds good.

if you want a box that was originally sealed to sound good ported, u need to do a little more than stick an aeroport or a pvc tube in it, just fyi.

take the time to build a downfire box that goes up into the bottom of the seat, gives you at least 2-3 inches beween the sub and the floor. you want the inside to flow smoothly, so if you do port, the air can travel with a smaller chance of creating port noise and will resonate better with the sound. if you want to only do it once, take your time, do your research, and dont just jump into a shitty system, bc you'll want to change in no time

If I port ill have it custom made, obviously need more airspace than a pre fab provides