TheBrettster

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 9, 2010
To clear up some confusion on what happened here it goes.

15 minutes into pismo I decide to run fence line (long section of whoops). I got about 3/4 of the way through it and the truck was handling tits (for once, mattherself knows how harsh the rear suspension was). After I crested a hill I noticed a sudden drop off, not a big deal truck could take a 3-4 foot drop off no problem. I give it the gas to try to stop it from nose diving and everything is going fine we land flat and the truck instantly starts pulling to one side so I get out thinking I popped a bead and found the truck like this.

411774_3765794257064_1778401380_o.jpg

470941_3765889779452_765672411_o.jpg

After an expensive tow bill ($700) to get it out of the dunes and back home I contacted the dude that built it. After a few hours he calls me back explaining the same problem I thought it was along with a few people that stopped to help me from DR. He is going to fix it no charge and take care of all the towing costs and them some. Unlike it make look, it wasn't because of cheap metal or crappy fab (trust me I posted it on DR that night and they are the first to blame crappy fab).

What it comes down to is bad geometry on the upper arms also having to do with alignment. The truck drooped out fully and when the truck landed the spindle wanted to go in towards the frame instead of straight up and cycle normally causing all the weight of the truck on that side to be forced onto the UCA. The builder now knows what exactly what went wrong, admits fault and is going to have it fixed by the end of the week like it never happened. From being in the business for almost 30 years this is the 2nd time something this bad has ever happened. The kit is a one of a kind prototype kit and for anyone to expect it to be 100 percent perfect the first time is wrong. Mazulla had a problem with camber on his first kits aswell BBR. Not to mention the CST ball joint kit.

FYI: Troll my truck I dont care I just laugh because yeah the situation sucks but its not a big deal and will be fixed. But DO NOT make fun of anyone who has a disease or special need.

TheBrettster

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 9, 2010
wonder if hes gonna limit ur travel to get rid of some of the camber at full droop?

That would have fixed the problem, but we are limiting usable travel. I told him thats fine if its limited to 18 but he wasn't cool with that idea. He was happy to know he could get 20+ out of a 3/4 silverado and wants to keep it that way. He says the fix is easy aswell. I guess when I called him he made a mock up of my kit at the shop and was cycling it to see exactly what went wrong.

Truck was strapped at 19 with them stretching to 20. Wasn't making out uniballs or shocks at all.

TheBrettster

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 9, 2010
Good to see him be stand up! Lots of people get bent outta shape when there custom shit breaks, but sometimes its part of the game!

I was told by a few people on DR that I'm extremely lucky he is taking care of it. Most people in the industry would have told me to fuck off regardless of fault. Hes a stand up guy just made a mistake. It happens, and hes going above and beyond to make sure its taken care of (so im told).

TheBrettster

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 9, 2010
I will be revisiting pismo later next week. This time it will come back under its own power.

TheBrettster

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 9, 2010
Lol the toyo's will be going soon. Probably going to pick up some projects or grabbers.

TheBrettster

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 9, 2010
Oh for the record. I never said if it wasn't built in a shop its hack. Whoever is spreading that rumor around is wrong and they seem to forget, my bed cage was built in my buddies garage my spare tire carrier was built in another buddies garage my truck was first built (dixon kit) in my garage.