Brass vs Nickel PTC fittings?

Slammed01

May 12, 2013
Any pros/cons for running brass or nickel plated fittings for my air system? How are these fitting packages for a 8 valve setup?

**newmatic sells alkon but hows the list to go off of:

3 1/2"MNPT X 1/4" FNPT Reducers (2 For 1/4" NPT Leader Hose Dual Compressors, One For Bottom Drain to connect 1/4" Street Tee)

1 1/2" MNPT X 1/8" FNPT Reducer (For Pressure Switch)

4 1/2" MNPT X 3/8" MNPT Hex Nipples (For Tank Mounted Valves)

4 3/8" MNPT X 2 3/8" FNPT Street Tee ( For Tank Mounted Valves)

4 3/8" MNPT Hex Nipples (For Fill and Dump Valves)

4 PCS 3/8" PTC X 3/8" MNPT Thread Male Connectors ( From 3/8" Street Tee to Bags)

4 3/8" PTC X 3/8" MNPT 90 Degree Elbows (For 4 3/8" Bags)

4 3/8" PTC X 3/8" PTC X 1/8" MNPT Branch Tee's (For Two Dual Needle Gauges to Monitor Bag Pressure)

8 1/4" PTC X 1/8" FNPT Connectors ( For the back side of gauges & for the Branch Tee ends)

1 1/4" MNPT Drain Cock ( Bottom of Tank)

1 1/4" MNPT X 2 1/4" FNPT Street Tee (Bottom of Tank for Drain and Safety Valve)

38 Pcs 3/8" "NUMATICS" Fitting Pack for tank mounted valves

Smc line for. 69 a foot (prob get 100' feet

https://specialtysuspension.3dcartstores.com/mobile/home.asp?cat=231&#page-84

Smc 3/8

3/8 SMC Valve 8 Pack - $234.00 : Grunion Customs, Custom suspension, accessories, performance, and apparel

Or

SMC 3/8 Valve Assembly - $84.99 : Grunion Customs, Custom suspension, accessories, performance, and apparel

Anything else I should need/look at?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
I emailed newmatics and their fittings are Parker brass and asco brand nickel. Asco good?

Also looking for more info on running hydraulic line and fittings???

First off: Get the Accuair VU4 AccuAir - Air Suspension

It will eliminate the need for numerous fittings, wiring, mounting and maintaining are WAY cleaner/easier, the drop speed is delicious (much improved and more controlled than bare 3/8 valves), you wont be a cool kid if you dont, and WHEN you upgrade to Accuair it will be plug and play. The price seems high, but you are looking at $250+ for SMC valves (having an extra isnt a bad idea), alot of extra fittings (tank mounted valves are easier, but for the front they are a bad choice) and mounts - youre probably looking at $300+ for an 8 valve setup. I will pimp this product until the end, I have had it for awhile now and it is a joy to work with - nobody else here or elsewhere will tell you otherwise.

Second: Brass vs Nickel is just a matter of spending more for a metal coating or not. Brass is bare, it is perfect for air, and it will not corrode quickly in an air system under normal circumstances. It will, however, start to tarnish over time as it is NOT coated - of course your environment come into play here - but this will not affect the fitting significantly unless there is some sort of obviously corrosive chemical constantly coating it (salt?). Nickel fittings are just that; a fitting coated with Nickel - they look pretty longer and cost a bit more (thats really all i know on that). Do NOT get the plated/plastic PTC fittings, they are not meant for high pressure from what I have seen. Both will serve you well.

Whatever you do: Really lay out your system yourself. We can all tell you our fitting setup, but every person lays it out differently - youve got to figure that one out yourself, this means a 'kit' is probably a bad idea, just get what you know you need. Any items you forget can be picked up at a local big rig shop, PVF/Plumbing warehouse, or even Home Depot. Use teflon tape, not a pipe sealer (I'm slowly learning this the hard way). Pick from a good source (personally i like AiredUp.com), i dont know much about brands - they are pretty much potato/potato though. That price on airline is good, buy some loom for it while youre there, and definitely include a stinger 80a relay and an air/water separator or two in the budget.

I take orders for this stuff, but unfortunately the places I order from require atleast a $100wholesale minimum order so an order would have to be for a BUNCH o' fittings (they do this because they dont want some guy like me to start sellin to you fools at wholesale price +shipping jus cuz I luv yous)

Science bitch. Thats enough effort for now. :swagmonkey:

Last edited:
Thank you sir =) ~ also should I stick with the DOT synflex line (8 years no probs with 1/2) or is hydro line worth it? How do jic fittings work, crimp every connection? Trucks garaged and no snow here!

dot line works, dont know what synflex is. JIC fittings are flare fittings, dont think thats a good idea for air, ive never looked into hydros. You might be looking too far into this lol.

dot line works, dont know what synflex is. JIC fittings are flare fittings, dont think thats a good idea for air, ive never looked into hydros. You might be looking too far into this lol.

Synflex is just plastic but your right maybe if I had other weather conditions. I know manifolds sucked before as may friends changed them out but they were GC and art I believe. Any issues w the accuair vu4 leaking/sticking? Seems like I could mount it in the rear and save alot of hassle with leaks and fittings and wiring. Plan on using loctite 545 too.

I use jic fittings and hydraulic hose for my entire truck. wont ever go another route

I use jic fittings and hydraulic hose for my entire truck. wont ever go another route

Well there you have it, I dont know much about hydraulic line and fittings. I have PTC on my truck now and used to have ferrule style compression fittings and hated them. Id like to know the answer to the hydraulic line and fittings questions too, Brett. its nothing ive ever looked into.