brake upgrades

fortplainman

official CGM slut
Feb 8, 2012
utica ny
so ive been looking around the past few days at new pads and rotors. heard the sensor slightly so i know i got life left but figure better look around now for something that will help me stop better in the city. i know ive scared myself trying to stop a few times. so heres what ive found:

pads:

EBC yellow stuff SUV pads:
Yellowstuff Truck & SUV Brake Pads Product Index

Hawk Performance SD pads:
Hawk Performance Brake Pads: Super-Duty Truck
Hawk Performance Brake Pads: Light Truck / SUV

Brake Performance premium semi-metallic pads:
BRAKE PERFORMANCE QUALITY BRAKE PADS
http://brakeperformance.com/images/features-semi-metallic-brake-pads-premium.gif

rotors:

hawk performance rotors:
Hawk Performance: Quiet Slot™ Rotors

brake performance rotors(slotted or dimpled/slotted):
PERFORMANCE DRILLED & SLOTTED BRAKE ROTORS
http://brakeperformance.com/images/features-premium-dimpled-slotted-rotors-silver.gif
http://brakeperformance.com/images/features-performance-slotted-rotors-silver.gif

powerslot rotors:
POWERSLOT - Faster Stops Made Easier

EBC rotors:
Ultimax BlackDash USR Slotted Rotors Product Index | EBC Brakes
3GD Sport Slotted Brake Rotors for Cars Index

tried r1concepts.com but there site just pulled up stuff for the drums not anything for the front. havent decided yet but figured id see what other guys are doing for pad and rotor upgrades to stop a bit better. really considering the dimpled/slotted and semi-metallic premium pads from brakeperformance. have a couple people i know running them and they like them and for 250 cant go wrong.

but looking into stuff just for example on summit, heres some prices:

EBC yellowstuff: 126
hawk performance SD/LTS: 98/87

powerslots: 137
powerslot cryo: 170
EBC USR sport slotted: 246(13in dia) 232 (13.6 dia)
EBC 3GD dimpled/slotted: 275(13 in dia) 260 (13.6 in dia)

EBC rotors threw me for a loop, not sure if i have 13 inch diameter or 13.6 rotors stock.

just looking for some info. i know jared told me about EBC, heard around about hawk performance, powerslot and brake performance.

Last edited:
hawk pads in le green box is what I run...dusty fuckers but REALLY helped me. I think cody is running EBC yellow pads in his dookie and said it stops on a dime. I wouldnt do powerslots...I did and it was a waste...cant resurface them and didnt help braking at all.

yeah that was another thing. ive heard both ways that you can or cant resurface slotted and dimpled/slotted rotors. heard you could take a chance and getting the tooling caught on the lift and causing it to chip the rotor.

shops I called said they wouldnt touch slotted rotors...if u can find a shop that will, thats sweet...but like I said, I didnt notice any improvement :shrug:

word. slotted only makes a huge diff when you're on the brakes a lot like a rally car. I'd just buy some nice pads, get your rotors turned if needed (which u shouldn't b/c truck is newer) and roll out. Also, when was the last time you changed your fluid or bled your brakes? I know changing the fluid makes a pretty big difference.

bled and changed it at 29k miles before i lifted it when i had to redo the lines. i guess ill look around at pads and prices and see if i can get myself a nice set of pads and resurface the stock rotors.

5674145999_7b23359da9_z.jpg

:cheeky:

IF your not gonna upgrade the caliper, then Just get some nice rotors and nice pads.

Bang for Buck Stainless Brake lines should be your first investment. They will make a noticeable difference...Pads and Rotors wont really...they only benefit at high temperature.

IF your not gonna upgrade the caliper, then Just get some nice rotors and nice pads.

Bang for Buck Stainless Brake lines should be your first investment. They will make a noticeable difference...Pads and Rotors wont really...they only benefit at high temperature.

Word, I would do the rotors and brakes last if I was doing the upgrade.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Thanks Brandon, I want to do lines for sure. I don't go fast enough to spend that kind of money...my brakes don't get treated rough currently. Just thought it looked gorgeous.

yeah i shoulda gotten the SS lines from the bds kit, maybe ill get those when i get some money as well. gotta worry about replacing the rear drums first they are almost done.