Fiesty

Jul 28, 2013
Kansas City, MO
My truck will be needing brakes soon. I figured for the front I'd upgrade to the 05+ calipers, pads, and rotors and for the rear I'd upgrade to 99-06 SUV rear brakes with dual piston calipers, pads, and rotors.
Can anyone verify that the front 05+ rotors are the same as the rear 99-06 SUV rotors? I will be doing drilled/slotted rotors, PowerStop shows the same part # (AR8645XPR) for front 05+ and rear 99-06 SUV rotors. I want to make sure that's correct before I drop coin on these.

I will most likely be doing EBC pads. I want ones with the least amount of dust. Which green stuff pads dust less? The 6000?

Lastly, what's everyone recommend for stainless steel brake lines? Thanks

Bassmaster

Media Mod
Mar 8, 2012
South Jersey
I figured for the front I'd upgrade to the 05+ calipers, pads, and rotors and for the rear I'd upgrade to 99-06 SUV rear brakes with dual piston calipers, pads, and rotors.
Can anyone verify that the front 05+ rotors are the same as the rear 99-06 SUV rotors?

I would guess so? On the SS it has 12" rotors up front and 13" out back, both dual piston calipers. I'd assume the rears are the same as the suv ones you're talking about. I also know the front 13" rotors from an 07 Tahoe 4x4 bolt onto ss's, as it's a common brake upgrade from 12 to 13" fronts

Sent from my Galaxy S-Fawhore

Fiesty

Jul 28, 2013
Kansas City, MO
I would guess so? On the SS it has 12" rotors up front and 13" out back, both dual piston calipers. I'd assume the rears are the same as the suv ones you're talking about. I also know the front 13" rotors from an 07 Tahoe 4x4 bolt onto ss's, as it's a common brake upgrade from 12 to 13" fronts

Sent from my Galaxy S-Fawhore
thanks. SUV rear rotors are the same as SS truck rears. I know truck 05+ fronts are 13" and 99-06 SUV rears are 13". I've heard the rears are thicker but i don't know.

slicksierra

Feel some type of way
Mar 8, 2012
Central Jersey
There's a heavy towing option that has some thicker brakes or something it's like JH6 option or something iirc

Sent from my potato

bgray

Stylish Canadian
Mar 17, 2012
Onterrible, Canada
theres no way the rotors are the same guys, just think about it, think how big the rear hat is for the brake shoes

Great upgrade for an older truck, I run russell and crown stainless lines.

Your levelled/lifted, so either will work. That'll make the biggest difference. Akebono dual compounds pads are great, quiet, low dust, and really long lasting

Fiesty

Jul 28, 2013
Kansas City, MO
theres no way the rotors are the same guys, just think about it, think how big the rear hat is for the brake shoes

Great upgrade for an older truck, I run russell and crown stainless lines.

Your levelled/lifted, so either will work. That'll make the biggest difference. Akebono dual compounds pads are great, quiet, low dust, and really long lasting

They would both be 13". Are you meaning thickness? I'm not familiar with brake lines at all really? How far do the lines go? And part numbers by chance? I'll look into Akebono. Thanks

bgray

Stylish Canadian
Mar 17, 2012
Onterrible, Canada
I mean the actual rotor being different...are you talking about diameter?

I remeber the SUV rear Rotors being WAYYY thicker then my OEM truck ones

Fiesty

Jul 28, 2013
Kansas City, MO
Yep I had that on the 04 and it had same rears as SUV, don't remember the RPO for it tho
Same rotor, not same caliper
I mean the actual rotor being different...are you talking about diameter?

I remeber the SUV rear Rotors being WAYYY thicker then my OEM truck ones
Yes the thickness. I'm guessing they're not the same. Were your oem truck ones 05+? That's what I was talking about.

Big Tex

slowly but surely
Jun 25, 2012
Dallas, TX
bump for update from kyul. what did you end up going with? I know it will be different from my truck because of the years but interested to see what you did. I have disc all around and single pistons. is it worth it to upgrade to dual pistons and drilled/slotted rotors? My truck obviously isn't going to an autox event anytime so do I really need all this upgraded brake stuff or should I just replace with better than oem pads and new rotors and call it done?

marc

WhiteSilvy
May 16, 2013
canada
bump for update from kyul. what did you end up going with? I know it will be different from my truck because of the years but interested to see what you did. I have disc all around and single pistons. is it worth it to upgrade to dual pistons and drilled/slotted rotors? My truck obviously isn't going to an autox event anytime so do I really need all this upgraded brake stuff or should I just replace with better than oem pads and new rotors and call it done?

hydroboost

slicksierra

Feel some type of way
Mar 8, 2012
Central Jersey
The price of the powerslots isn't much more than other rotors plus you have bigger wheels and show your truck so it would be a nice truck

Big Tex

slowly but surely
Jun 25, 2012
Dallas, TX
hydroboost
dfw
The price of the powerslots isn't much more than other rotors plus you have bigger wheels and show your truck so it would be a nice truck
do they rust at all? If I just get regular rotors again, I plan to get them powder coated to prevent rust and then turned.

Also, I found some used sss dual piston front calipers on ptnet. will they work on my truck? I have single piston right now.