Boost District Build on the 04 Prerunner

jonmx477

Feb 4, 2011
Got my truck kit from Boost District. Rosh at Boost District is a very knowledgeable guy. And super helpful. I've been pretty happy with the customer service. I haven't got too far into the install and progress will be slow. But the kit covers all the basic and big items and then there are a few little bits and pieces he does not include because of so many different variables.
The big items in the kit:
LSA blower
ZL1 lid
650cc/60lb injectors
LSA fuel rails
Intake manifold gaskets
Olson Kustom Works Adapter plates and accessory relocation and necessary seals
Heat exchanger pump and wiring kit
Upgraded heat exchanger

I ordered extra:
Walboro 450
Made my own crank pin kit, going with 2- 1/4"x3/4" dowel pins
New crank bolt

Untitled by Jon Mounter, on Flickr

jonmx477

Feb 4, 2011
Just two crappy pics from this weekend. Got the OKW bracket on. The PS pump lines are a pretty tight fit, and I need to clean up the wires stuffed under the line. And the instructions for the bracket say to reuse you stock idler pulley, but when I mounted it up and put the additional idler pulley on and mocked up the belt around the crank, ps pump, alt, and the idlers I had a hard time getting it on since they were so close to each other and it sure seems like they could even rub so I think I will get another smaller dayco idler like the one included in the kit to give myself a little more clearance. Got the intake off and breaking apart the harness to separate the throttle body harness from the injectors so I won't need an extension harness. Found out I need adapter harnesses too to go from the delphi plugs for my injectors to the newer ev6 plug, but Rosh said those should ship this week. I am a little disappointed since I'm still waiting for the install kit for the walbro 450. Rosh said he was having a hard time getting them from his vendor.

And I'm really considering the first thing I'll do once it's running is pull it outside and soak the engine with like 3 cans of engine bright degreaser lol

Reactions: sharris223

jonmx477

Feb 4, 2011
Blower is on. Gen3 water pump just barley clears the bypass valve with the 1/2" adapter plates. Rosh got me the needed mini delphi to ev6 injector adapters and the fuel pump install kit. Next is get the lid on and clean up the wiring.

jonmx477

Feb 4, 2011
No, the belt goes from the top idler on the right, blower, water pump, tensioner pulley if you traveled counter clockwise

jonmx477

Feb 4, 2011
Lid is on and working on wiring. I had to use adapters to use the newer ev6 style injectors since my truck has the mini delphi plug. I tested the walbro 450 with the stock returnless system in the bucket. I drilled out the venturi jet to .200" and wanted to make sure everything would still work with the larger port.

jonmx477

Feb 4, 2011
I used a ICT Billet throttle body adapter and it looks like I'll need to run my tb upside down. The motor on the side is too close to the blower pulley and the belt will hit.

jonmx477

Feb 4, 2011
Still chipping away. Getting down to the final details. Glowshift gauges are in. Them seem decent quality. Although the pillar pod was only like $35 and it shows, but I'm not too worried about it. I got the heat exchanger mounted and am pretty happy with how that came out. I used some coupling nuts to make the mount bolt on to the core support pretty easy then the heat exchanger bolts on to there. and I will add some brackets to mount the trans cooler. I am kind of bummed, Rosh said that I needed a Walbro 450 and in reality I really didn't. I started it up and had 65psi fuel pressure and that was with modifying the venturi in the stock bucket. Like all other fuel pump threads on the 450 say, the stock in tank regulator cannot dump the fuel fast enough. I was left with the decision then to either add an afpr and run a return line into the tank, which I really considered, but then also noticed the 450 instructions say that a minimum of 14 ga wiring should be used for that pump and I'm pretty sure the stock wiring is 16 ga. So after pricing it out and seeing it would probably be another $200ish to have the 450 work properly, I instead ordered a 255 to drop in. So if anyone wants a 450 for cheap I have one, otherwise it will sit and maybe I will upgrade the fuel system later down the road if needed.

jonmx477

Feb 4, 2011
Would a 225 have been enough?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Justin at Blackbear said a 255 would be fine for my current set up. And walbro says they can support roughly 500hp. This is a very similar set up to if I would have got a tvs1900. I believe the 1900 kit for my truck includes a 255lph pump.

jonmx477

Feb 4, 2011
Took it out for the first drive and was very happy with Blackbear's first tune. Sent a data log to Justin and waiting to see what he thinks. Builds 8 psi no problem. If anyone needs the QD connectors for the lid they are Dorman 800-919. Just be aware they are 5/8" barbs you if you are using 3/4" hose you will have to get a barb adapter, which most auto parts stores should have. These are the cheapest I've found for lid adapters. And I believe some people are even just reselling this same piece, but calling it a zl1 lid fitting and charging like double the price. I got mine for 9.99 each. I have a ton of clean up to do on the truck still but it runs and is drivable. Next will be redo the shock tower brace, clean up wiring and hoses. But in the meantime its time to drive it and enjoy it.

jonmx477

Feb 4, 2011
Sent in my data log to blackbear and found that my Long Term Fuel Trims are high and causing a p171 and p174. If it is a vacuum leak it is hard as hell to find. At idle gauge says 20 inches of vacuum and it has no problem holding boost. And wide band isn’t telling me anything out of the normal, which I assume that means the 20+% the trims are adding is making the engine run fine. I’m gonna take it to a friend with a smoke machine to thoroughly check for any leaks. But if any one else has any other trick tips that would be much appreciated.

jonmx477

Feb 4, 2011
No picture update. Ended up having to contact Fuel Injector Connection and getting injector data, and I can not stress the importance of that. The last data log showed a huge improvement in long term fuel trims. Close to 0 or below now so no P171 and 174 anymore. However, it did throw a P106 now which has something to do with the maf readings, so I'm hoping that Blackbear can adjust accordingly. So hoping for more good news on the next tune, but it's good to feel like progress is being made.