Big bro and little sis, two builds one thread

Well then go with a stock hood, you said it yourself that you don't really like it any more.

I like the cowl since it is somewhat of a performance truck. If it was stock then id say no cowl but it looks good on there.

enough with the cosmetics!

The garage is done and the RCSB is home, this poor thing hasn't had any attention for 3+ years.

Lq4 2004 with 130k miles, 317 heads bone stock. My plans are 228r 110 tsp cam, 317s for now (until you guys convince me otherwise) new pushrods and springs, 3600 stall, transgo shift kit for the 60e and vette servo, 3.90s, e fans. long tubes are on the truck already.

shocks are worn, currently has monroes and ill dish a little extra cash out this time for a better damn ride.

if you plan on replacing the lifters, you have to take the heads off...Id send them out to get milled at that point...would give u a CLEAN surface on the heads and bump up your compression some.

Finally a damn update!

Plans sound good, maybe look into a custom grind cam and spend the same $ but get one that fits your needs.

if you plan on replacing the lifters, you have to take the heads off...Id send them out to get milled at that point...would give u a CLEAN surface on the heads and bump up your compression some.
didn't plan on replacing the lifters, unless i got to! do you think milling them a good alternative to hunting down 243s or l92s?

Finally a damn update!

Plans sound good, maybe look into a custom grind cam and spend the same $ but get one that fits your needs.
not sure what my needs are, 12s...11s :woot: and still enjoyable on the street.

If you're doing a cam, don't forget the oil pump. if you're pulling the heads buy arp bolts
Never put a lot of thought into oil pump, been in the back of my mind but didn't know if it was necessary yet? I'm open to all suggestions I'm newbie

Oh, any locker for the rear? Or just doing gears right now
tru trac ya think?

Tru Trac would be a nice addition. And keep an eye out on the pt.net classifieds. I scooped a set of 243s off of there for a good price. They pop up from time to time.

Or 799s. Basically the same heads, just different valve materials used.

didn't plan on replacing the lifters, unless i got to! do you think milling them a good alternative to hunting down 243s or l92s?

Never put a lot of thought into oil pump, been in the back of my mind but didn't know if it was necessary yet? I'm open to all suggestions I'm newbie

tru trac ya think?

Replacing the lifters I guess will depend on how they look when you pull out the old cam...if theres no pitting, u can run em like that...I ran oem lifters with over 100k miles till I swapped heads and dropped in new ones. Oil pump is easy to do but not necessary but its cheap to do.

243/799 practically flow the same cfm as 317s....the major difference is the combustion chamber size where 317s have a much larger chamber and thus, drop compression compared to 243s.

Swapping to 243/799 will increase compression to around 10.5 and ur probably around 9.5 right now....rule of thumb is 15rwhp per compression point raised/lowered.

L92 heads will require a different intake manifold because theyre rectangular port and you have cathedrals right now.

Milling ur 317s will bump up ur compression a bit and like I said before, will give u a clean/flat head surface...plus its cheap af to have done.

Ive got a truetrac and I like it. IT IS NOT A LOCKER...its a limited slip, keep that in mind if youre trying to get a locker instead.

Tru Trac would be a nice addition. And keep an eye out on the pt.net classifieds. I scooped a set of 243s off of there for a good price. They pop up from time to time.

Or 799s. Basically the same heads, just different valve materials used.

Lil correction here....243 and 799 can have the same valve material...its the motor it was in that will play a role in determining what valves were used.

:shake:

GM even used 799 casting as replacements for 243s and vice versa....heads I sold jesse are 243/799 combo....same valves. Only way to tell if you have lighter valves is to weight them :emo: