Beware: Pepboys

texascowboy316

Mar 20, 2012
Buyer beware. Never purchase tires from any pepboys. I was told when I bought mine that there warranty was the same as discount tires. That is not true at all. I went today to use the warranty and they wanted to prorate my tires and charge me mount and balance and new warranty. How are you going to prorate a tire with less then 10, 000 miles. Discount doesn't do that. They also don't charge you to mount and balance the new tire. They only charge you for a new certs. The only time discount prorates a tire is if it is almost at the waer indicator or mile mark. What a rip off pepboys warranty is. I paid for something ill never be able to use.. just I should have paid the more expensive price at discount and had better warranty. So if your in the market for tires. Stay away from any pepboys

IIRC Discount Tire has recently changed their policy to one that does not completely warranty tires or perform free labor (besides the normal bal/rotate/patch) for free unless you have paid extra for the 'replacement certifications' - did you buy a warranty on top of the tires at pepboys? Not that I'd ever buy anything from Pepboys to begin with - but im just curious.

Off discounts website.

How Does It Work?If a tire covered by the*Certificate for Refund, Repair or Replacement*fails due to a defect or an unrepairable road hazard, and still has legal tread (3/32") remaining across the tire, and it has been in use less than 3 years from date of purchase, Discount Tire will give a refund of the full purchase price, together with the applicable sales tax and give you the option to purchase the same new or comparable tire at the refund price, with the payment of any applicable sales tax. There is no prorating, no disqualification for any reason such as run-on damage and no mileage adjustment. It is the very best tire certificate program we know of

I learned that lesson more than 15 years ago that Pep Boys isn't worth a shit. I thought them cheap ass Futura tires from there and had a blowout not long after. Their warranty sucks, their service sucks, and the quality of their own branded tires seriously sucks.