James Pate

Mar 27, 2012
Margate, Fl
This is where I will keep the build of my GF new to her tahoe. She got it about a week and a half ago and really just been driving it. She has some ideas that she wants to do to it that I have already taken care of. Main thing she needs to decide is whether she want's to lift or lower it. Its 2wd so imo lower it but she is undecided.

Here are some pictures when she first got it and some after she lift it with me for the weekend.

1 by James Pate, on Flickr

2 by James Pate, on Flickr

3 by James Pate, on Flickr

5 by James Pate, on Flickr

6 by James Pate, on Flickr

7 by James Pate, on Flickr

She ordered clear headlights and running lights. So I put them in and installed some hids and leds that I had laying around

Untitled by James Pate, on Flickr

Then had some leds for the interior that I put in as well

Also had some red leds for the break and rear turn signals so through those in. She complained that at night she couldn't see much when backing up. Didn't have any bulbs to replace the factory lights so I installed some led cubes underneath.

She also didn't like the amber on the tail lights, said they looked like a traffic light lol. So candied them and debadged the gate

Last but not least she wanted the steps, the moldings, and the pinstripe removed so I did that and gave it a quick wash and wax

And then to try and persuade her lol

The passenger fog light melted and turned it amber from water getting into it so she said she wanted to get a z71 valance and fogs. So that will be addressed.

Small update, got the canister vent solinoid in and a billet bowtie just need to put them in.

Also found out the the regulator is in the tank with the fuel pump so not sure if I'll be doing that job or if I am going to take it to a shop.

Hand polished the bowtie but I think it needs to be sanded and re polished with rogue bars because of the light scratches.

Installed the new emblem and also the evap canister so hopefully that is fixed but won't know till she goes to fill it up.

Well the evap canister didn't fix the fill up issue so not sure what that could be. Maybe the fuel pump :shrug: Also still having the hard start issue as well that could be the fuel pump as well but not looking forward to dropping the gas tank.

But I did take off the rear wiper and plugged it with some small plugs. Wanted to color match them but was about to rain and I didn't have the paint. So I'll get some paint and paint the spare plugs that I have

Small update. Was her birthday last week so I get her some truck parts. Got a new LTZ black valance put on as well as some new foglights and also a new billet grille and billet bumper filler.

Last edited:

Khaos

Bed Dent Club Founder
Mar 24, 2012
Albany, NY
The pump on these is fun to get to.

Ask @BigBlue02HD how much fun it is doing it multiple times lol.

James Pate

Mar 27, 2012
Margate, Fl
Yeah I've read I need to drop the tank. So that one be a fun job. Will most likely try and get the rear up high to lay under it comfortable to try and get the tank out. Just waiting for her to buy the pump. I was really hoping the evap canister would fix it.

Moore

Feb 12, 2012
Maryland
I did a pump on a tahoe with a full tank. It was super fucking fun. In for the build tho, I hope she goes lifted on big wheels like the ccsb is lol

James Pate

Mar 27, 2012
Margate, Fl
Well got the fuel pump swapped out and it didn't solve a thing... lol The whole process really wasn't that bad took about an hour and a half by myself in the driveway Truck had a quarter tank. I think the hardest part was getting the tank straps back on lol. Unfortunately I am still in the same spot.

Truck has a hard time starting. If it hasn't been driven in like an hour and you go to start it it will just crank for a few seconds and eventually turn over.

Other issue is filling the truck up. I filled the truck up from a quarter to full today and it too

relaxedsierra

Sep 27, 2016
Mine is a 03 with a 5.3...mine had more than one issue..my fuel pump was weak but bigger problem was the plastic high pressure line off the fuel pump was leaking and the fuel pressure regulator was on its way out too...took all 3 to make mine finally crank right at all times

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G850A using Tapatalk

James Pate

Mar 27, 2012
Margate, Fl
Looking good!!! :thumbsup:

Thanks man just wish it would work as good lol

Mine is a 03 with a 5.3...mine had more than one issue..my fuel pump was weak but bigger problem was the plastic high pressure line off the fuel pump was leaking and the fuel pressure regulator was on its way out too...took all 3 to make mine finally crank right at all times

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G850A using Tapatalk

With the 05 everything is on the fuel pump now including the regulator so that's why I figured I would replace it. And when I had the tank down replacing the fuel pump all the hoses looked fine and didn't show signs of leaks.

Where'd u get the z71 valance? I need one

Rock auto

Big time lol

whats with tahoes and hard starts lately? mines all fucky.

It's so frustrating lol

But also found out that some people replace the valve as well as the solenoid and those are only like 20$ so might give that a shot before throwing in the towel.

Emery19

That Ford Guy
Apr 8, 2012
Mount Laurel, NJ
It's so frustrating lol

But also found out that some people replace the valve as well as the solenoid and those are only like 20$ so might give that a shot before throwing in the towel.

Right? I'm right there with ya. I have a 01 so my regulator is separate and I've already replaced that. After doing some research I think it's the check valve in my pump that's the issue.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

James Pate

Mar 27, 2012
Margate, Fl
Nothing happened really. Gf hasnr done much but drive it really. For Christmas I got her a pioneer double din. She had a rear main leak so we got that fixed and now ive been trying to look around to see what the best basic 6/7 inch lift will be. Just want one that'll clear some x12s and 31s or 33s easily. Truck needs new shocks for sure so rather just lift it and put new shocks on then.

Small update looking at getting all new bilstein shocks but decided to take the money we were going to put towards them and going to get a 6 inch super lift. Also got some 16x12 scorpios that I'll run with adapters and probably end up running 265/75r16 nitto terra grapplers.

Some pictures of the rims

34383616294_7b3139693b_b.jpg

35227503795_44ef0847c0_b.jpg

34383615514_0ba1114b03_b.jpg

Well got the filling issue finally figured out. Dropped the tank again to see if any of the lines were clogged and sure enough they were. The lines were filled with the charcoal beads and since I never replaced the carbon canister and could pour the beads out from it I went ahead and replaced that.

Next I am going to try and replace the purge valve on the manifold to see if that will fix the hard start issue. I had the vent hose off of it today and can hear some of the beads rattling in that hose so I will blow that one out too. I think maybe that valve is stuck closed cause there is no suction from it when the truck is running with it plugged in or not.

Cleaned and decided to take pictures.

35535724182_33e7415226_h.jpg

35704559485_129d6d8d56_h.jpg

35535724182_33e7415226_h.jpg

35573898651_3c6df3a8bd_h.jpg

35317428410_cc96a7fc9e_h.jpg

Added some chrome handles

35490494934_0b24e20f83_k.jpg

36326564275_79b9a61a92_k.jpg

Just out and about the other day

35759544154_c3cbfc99ed_k.jpg

Well puled the trigger and ordered a lift for the tahoe today. Went with the Pro Comp 6" kit. Decided Pro Comp over Superlift because the Pro Comp is a full knuckle drop kit. So the plan is to now get lift knuckles, bds torsion bar relocaters, cv stubs, and 4wd hubs. Also get everything powder coated.

k1083b.jpg

Riding out Irma

36730127280_bee8d1c6e6_k.jpg

Reactions: BigBlue02HD

James Pate

Mar 27, 2012
Margate, Fl
Well small update, got a few parts for her tahoe for christmas.

3" exhaust with a 18" magnaflow to a 4" tip for now
eBay black intake
Back up camera
Amp wiring kit for the subs that I got from a friend. (12" kicker cvr and a 1000w sony amp)
LED tail lights
LED reverse bulb

Sounds good with the new exhaust. Low rumble at idle and cruise but when you roll into it it gets louder.

Some photos

LRM_EXPORT_20171231_005613 by James Pate, on Flickr

LRM_EXPORT_20171231_005633 by James Pate, on Flickr

LRM_EXPORT_20171231_005620 by James Pate, on Flickr

Well currently the 16x12 are now in GA with a friend who will bring them the next time he heads down which should be soon. Also bought the 1.5 body lift today for 65$ and is being shipped today. Owner said its brand new that he just never got around to installing. Also purchased a spike billet antenna from Billet by Luz

Some pictures. Tires are off the rims now.

IMG_3667 by James Pate, on Flickr

IMG_3668 by James Pate, on Flickr

2018-01-22_09-51-13 by James Pate, on Flickr

2018-01-22_10-08-05 by James Pate, on Flickr

Threw the body lift on today, was very simple. Went to do the front bumper left but realized you had to cut the stock bumper brackets so I decided not to since I am planning on doing the HD front. Also cranked the keys so it sits more level now. Fenders are at around 38 now from ground to center of wheel well

Before

LRM_EXPORT_20180126_164520 by James Pate, on Flickr

After

LRM_EXPORT_20180126_164514 by James Pate, on Flickr

A little windy but here's a video

Think I found a hd hood local, going to look at it Thursday hopefully. In the process of moving so got a picture of it driving today while I was driving my moms nnbs suburban.

2018-01-30_07-58-57 by James Pate, on Flickr

Went and picked up a HD hood today and dropped it off at paint, should be done in 2 weeks the painter said.

2018-02-01_12-09-13 by James Pate, on Flickr

Got an idea how the tahoe should sit. Previous owner is @brucebruce45 from here.

Specs of truck is for a total of 13" of lift

procomp 6" lift
Rough country 3" spindles
Ford keys
Zone 1.5" bodylift
Rear 6" springs
Rear 3" spacer
22x14 Fuel Hostages
35/14.50r22 Interco Iroks

IMG_2439 by James Pate, on Flickr

Huck

BIIIIG SQRBDY GUY
Jan 27, 2011
Gainesville, Ga
God that green font is hard to read. But the hoe is coming along nicely, looking forward to seeing it lifted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Connor

Mar 28, 2015
Looks white to me.

SUV goals. Looks killer. Need to find an HD hood.
Already have 2 but they're already on HD's :bertstare: