Antifreeze

mudgeon

Dec 6, 2015
It's that time of year and I was wanting opinions on antifreezes that claim to mix with any make, model or color of coolant. Both my vehicles require Dex Cool which some don't like. I also read about some being concerned about coolant PH levels but when you ask auto parts stores about getting some PH strips, no one has any. The reason I mentioned PH is because I was wondering if I could get by with a radiator drain and refill instead of a flush. My coolant temperature and boil points still check OK and are clean but they've been in my vehicles a while. I have a S10 4.3L and a HHR 2.2L. What do some of you use if you don't use Dex Cool and do any of you check your coolant PH?

Jared

Administrator
Feb 8, 2012
North Dallas
I've never done anything more than a drain and fill. I wouldn't put too much thought into it. I would use dexcool if that's what has been in it. It isn't that much different in cost and I would rather that over possibly leak issues from a different anitfreeze. I have read that it can cause gaskets to deteriorate. I dont know if it's just one of those things people speak of out of fear. I didn't find draining was too expensive.

I know dexcool gets trashed all over online, but none of my cars have ever had an issue.

Last edited:

Adjusted

Super Moderator
Feb 8, 2012
Tacoma, Washington
If your vehicle has dex in it, keep it in it unless you can do a legit machine flush like 2 times. Dex sucks but itll work, if you have over 120k its getting around that time to drian/fill - other than that leave it alone on a stock vehicle. Keep is simple.

Oct 16, 2011
SoCal
I use distilled water and amsoil dominator coolant booster. I like using it because it changes color when the pH has fallen beyond specs.

mudgeon

Dec 6, 2015
Thanks to everyone for the responses, I'm sure I'll make the wrong decision regardless of the fine advice I've been given.