Reit38

Jan 23, 2014
im leaning towards doing longtubes this winter on my NNBS 4x4. whats everyone recommend for sub $400 headers. i live in iowa so im thinking that may take a toll on them with the nasty shit they put on the roads in the winter. right now only mods i have is Airaid MIT tube with drop in K&N and a Aero3030.

i plan on having a BB tune done at some point next year when funds allow it.
Do most guys go with ORY or use factory. i dont want it be extremely loud and wife will constantly bitch if it is

Khaos

Bed Dent Club Founder
Mar 24, 2012
Albany, NY
If you're doing long tubes you cannot reuse the factory y pipe. LTs with an ory will add a considerable amount of noise depending on how your exhaust is setup. Also, being 4x4, you're probably going to have some fitment issues to address with a mallet. I have Pacesetters on my truck with their ory. No fitment issues, but I'm 2wd. My exhaust is also dumped at the muffler, so it has a lot of drone. I'm actually going to add cats at some point just because the smell is terrible and it'll be easier to pass visual inspections here in NY.

Oktain

Canuck Admin
Staff member
Feb 9, 2012
Sudbury, ON
Look into having either high flow cats added to an ORY, or if they have the option at the time of purchase, get a catted Y-pipe. Cats knock a lot of drone out of the exhaust note, and I'll be going the catted route myself when I finally muster up the coin to do LT's.

Huck

BIIIIG SQRBDY GUY
Jan 27, 2011
Gainesville, Ga
You're going to be very disappointed in sub $400 headers. And being 4wd, they're most likely gonna be a bitch to put in.

I believe mine were right about $500. Every set is different and I've seen a couple 4wds that didn't have much of an issue but on my 05, there was no way they'd fit. I would've had to completely close 2 primaries and halfway close the collector to get the driveshaft to fit. So either plan on some custom fab or don't bother with them

Sent from a dingleberry

Reit38

Jan 23, 2014
Look into having either high flow cats added to an ORY, or if they have the option at the time of purchase, get a catted Y-pipe. Cats knock a lot of drone out of the exhaust note, and I'll be going the catted route myself when I finally muster up the coin to do LT's.
Pretty sure I'd want to go this route

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Jared

Administrator
Feb 8, 2012
North Dallas
Theres not a single header I would recommend under 1000$

Even more so if your in inclement weather

Odd, my cal speed headers did well. Obx gets used a ton on other applications. I think people get caught up with names. Kooks and arh have had fitment issues just like others. And stainless is stainless. If someone uses 304 and so does their competitor, it's all the same. Unless I missed something.

For the gains, $1k for headers on NA daily truck is silly.

Reit38

Jan 23, 2014
What would be a comparable muffle to youtube with headers. Can't find any with aero and headers without a cam/ and or stall

Reit38

Jan 23, 2014
@jared i found a couple old vids of your going down the hwy. you had an AERO installed correct? do you think it would sound much different on a NNBs then yours?

bgray

Stylish Canadian
Mar 17, 2012
Onterrible, Canada
I recently bought a set of OBX headers. Pulled them out of the box, inspected them, and immediately sold them. I would not put sub par parts of my vehicle. Welds, merges, collectors are all sub par

Yes cheaper headers will work, no they are not well made. Just like any other product pay for what you get. If you wanna be cheap, buy cheap stuff

Reit38

Jan 23, 2014
im looking into Texas Speed , Speed Engineering and Cal-Speed
who makes a decent priced Catted Y
may be a dumb question but could you get away with a single Cat before muffler

Khaos

Bed Dent Club Founder
Mar 24, 2012
Albany, NY
im looking into Texas Speed , Speed Engineering and Cal-Speed
who makes a decent priced Catted Y
may be a dumb question but could you get away with a single Cat before muffler
All three are basically the same.

Catted y pipes are going to run the same as those headers, and none will bolt up without modification. You're better off either spending the money on a Kooks/American Racing setup, or adding cats to an off road y pipe.

Reit38

Jan 23, 2014
1 cat per side or will one be suffice then b4 the muffler?

Huck

BIIIIG SQRBDY GUY
Jan 27, 2011
Gainesville, Ga
1 per side as far forward as possible is ideal, so they'll get enough heat in them. If you want just 1 in the y, you need to make sure to get a spiral style IIRC

Sent from a dingleberry

Khaos

Bed Dent Club Founder
Mar 24, 2012
Albany, NY
You can do this with aftermarket cats. These are Magnaflow 8" long iirc.

20160305_1154050.jpg

Welded in to an ory.

slicksierra

Feel some type of way
Mar 8, 2012
Central Jersey
Check out speed engineering that's what I would go with, made to fit 4x4 and they have a full dual 3" stainless kit to go with it

live from the gutter trash.