AlwaysSomethin 96 RCSB LSX swap, rebuild, mod thread....

AlwaysSomethin

Apr 8, 2012
Well, Figured Id move this thread over here...

This was my first vehicle. Bought from my dad @ 15 years old...RCSB 2WD 96 silverado, all power, ultra silver/black/light gray interior.

Didnt start with much haha....
OG.jpg

100_0033.jpg

beach.jpg

In Sept 09 truck was broken into, insurance tried to total, fought it, got a check, fixed, and came out like this
low2.jpg

low1.jpg

When I bought my crew cab, the brakes locked down, took to a shop because I didnt want to fool with it, it sat forever, I finally went and picked it up, oil spot on driveway kept frustrating me, members tempted me, it was tired after 265k, so here is how she sits now...
IMAG0434.jpg

IMAG0435.jpg

IMAG0433.jpg

IMAG0207.jpg

Will be beginning to strip factory harness, cleaning, painting frame, replacing a lot of front end components and body bushings here in the next week or so. then will be ready to sit the motor/trans in, work on my wiring, fuel, and all the good stuff like that. when I get through, itll be back to chevy front clip, sport grille, smoothie front, NBS rear bumpers. Will probably have re sprayed pure silver/carbon black w cowl hood.

pics of front end stripped, painted the frame with a black/hammered finish, all control arm bushings etc. replaced w moog problem solvers

OBSstripped2.jpg

OBSStripped.jpg

IMAG0493.jpg

IMAG0486.jpg

IMAG0491.jpg

IMAG0498.jpg

IMAG0500.jpg

after my 2" belletch procoils.
IMAG0825.jpg

TBSS 243 heads/drivetrain/intake I picked up for $350, will likely have a local guy port/polish before installing on the 6.0. In time I also picked up a TSP 224R 114LSA cam, patriot gold dual valve springs.
IMAG1114.jpg

IMAG1115.jpg

IMAG1116.jpg

Decided to give the undercarriage/frame some more attention
IMAG1179.jpg

IMAG1178.jpg

IMAG1204.jpg

IMAG1203.jpg

IMAG1202.jpg

Pulled my brothers old truck that was stolen and drivetrain robbed around the shop, will be pulling the rear and putting in mine as it has a 3.73 and G80, and 40K+ less miles on it.

also pulled some body bushings, cleaned up all the hardware and sprayed some paint, going to be running Energy suspension black bushings. Cleaned up and painted some stock spring hangers getting ready to tackle the suspension soon.

Jegs Delivery....
IMAG1245.jpg

IMAG1242.jpg

IMAG1244.jpg

IMAG1247.jpg

Did some more cleaning on the frame, a lil self etching primer.

This is how the truck sits tonight. I also built my 04 GMC while slowly messing with this truck, it was totaled, and bult my 06 silverado which I daily during this time frame.

So, as it sits now, final plans will be:
03 LQ4 ported/polished 243 heads
patriot gold dual springs
TSP 224R 114LSA Cam
TBSS intake w 87MM TB
TBSS bucket seats
4/6 drop
03-06 cluster

Ordered LSHD timing set today, just need an LS6 oil pump, 7.4 pushrods, X link, likely some gaskets and ARP hardware, and itll be really ready to start doing work.

I dibbs on first ride

Sent from my iPhone

Haha youll have to get in line with that one. Matt and Danny probably fight you for that since theyre all the time helping me

fuck, please move near me...but toss those wheels imo!

Ill be going to boss 338s in grey, 20x8/20x10s, but I promise once it gets weight on it and closer to the ground they fit much better. Just clean and simple. But shooting for more hot rod/sport truck feel now.

Let me know when your ready to do the notch, I'll come give you inspiration....and drink beer.:crazy:

me too im there......:thumbsup:

As soon as I finish cleaning frame, paint, reassemble leaf springs, install hangers, springs, swap/clean/upgrade axles, Ill be ready! I has plasma now, just gotta work out a few lil bugs with it (it was free) :crossarms:

IMAG0773.jpg

IMAG1029.jpg

Just realized only engine pics looked like shit, its been cleaned up...still need to take my heads to P&P. Order that oil pump. and get started on engine work, and finish everything else. Guy is supposed to be coming to pick up the other engine from me this weekend, will either fund car trailer or built trans for this truck....

I'll be outta school soon. So if you need any help holla. Im always looking for something to do.

Sent from my iPhone

Obviously I havent done much of shit lately. Just came in from stripping/cleaning the other leaf pack, will remove bushings/paint tomorrow, hopefully finish priming frame. Goal is to have frame painted, axle reinstalled and be notching this weekend. I did pick up a 4L80 for this a while back instead of wasting my time with a 60e. So there will have to be a slight harness mod, and x member moved back some. NBS keeps gettin in the way...

Itll be a while. Haha. Suspension setup has become temporary
Its all new. But will last until I get the sierra situated, and find or build a house n get situated. Then ill be looking at tubular arms, 4 link, coilovers, maybe rack and pinion. This is one truck i plan to take to the grave.