Important!: After wheels and tires, truck shakes when braking

Sky Mabee

May 30, 2013
After i put my 20x10 hostages on my truck shakes now when i brake till about 30mph. Ive heard a cause could be uneven rotors or pads but why all the sudden would it start when i changed wheels and tires? Any ideas

BOO5TED

Resident Smartass
Jan 7, 2011
ATL
Did the shop that mounted them balance the tires correctly? Could also be the extra weight from the new wheels/tires making the shaking worse, could have been a rotor issue before. :shrug:

Jordan

OG CGM Member
Jan 25, 2011
Old Town, ME
Take your rear wheels off and pull the metal clips off the studs if they are there. They're there for assembly, you don't need them now and they can cause vibration with aftermarket wheels.

Jordan

OG CGM Member
Jan 25, 2011
Old Town, ME
On NNBS trucks they are only on the rear, there's a retaining screw on the front instead of clips. Stock wheels have a chamfer machined into the back side that lets them sit flush unlike aftermarket wheels.

Sky Mabee

May 30, 2013
We'll the wheels and tires came off my buddy's truck. They drove fine and he never had the shake so maybe it's a rotor issue that is now noticeable because he extra weigh?
Also about the clips on the rear studs. I put the wheels on myself and I didn't see any clips. I wasn't looking for them of course but are they really noticeable?

Jordan

OG CGM Member
Jan 25, 2011
Old Town, ME
Sometimes they aren't immediately noticeable. There are PLENTY of other people who have forgotten to take them off before and had the exact same issue. There is 2 on either side IIRC. They'll be at the base of the stud and were used to hold your brakes together during assembly. It only takes a few minutes to pull your wheels off and check, that would be my first step going forward before throwing money at rebalances/brakes.

Last edited:

Sky Mabee

May 30, 2013
Now someone is telling me is prolly alignment problem sense I went wider. Idk imma defiantly check the rear studs

On NNBS trucks they are only on the rear, there's a retaining screw on the front instead of clips. Stock wheels have a chamfer machined into the back side that lets them sit flush unlike aftermarket wheels.

oh, i didnt realize they did that on the nnbs.

Now someone is telling me is prolly alignment problem sense I went wider. Idk imma defiantly check the rear studs

going wider will knock it out.

Sky Mabee

May 30, 2013
5yga2eqa.jpg

fortplainman

official CGM slut
Feb 8, 2012
utica ny
i know my tires are either not balanced good enough or the truck is outta alignment i get a slight vibration at 50+ but not enough to care.