Adjusted

Super Moderator
Feb 8, 2012
Tacoma, Washington
Have been on the lookout for a new (another) project for the last 5 months or so. I wanted something different from the bagged '01 this time. I feel like I cant take it anywhere, get afraid to leave in in a parking lot, drive it on non-paved roads, take it to the river/tailgating/etc after all of the body work and paint thats gone into it, plus it is a pain to keep spotless. I still love driving it, but its not as much fun as I want from a weekend cruiser. I have always had a soft spot for Blazers, S10 or K5, so I settled on a K5 this time (Round 1 with a 94' S10 Blazer didnt go so well). Its a fun, old, good lookin rig thats easy to work on and modify, plus I wont hesitate to take it anywhere once it is done. Ive been looking on Craigslist for all of south TX for months, my budget for the truck itself was $3,500 and it didnt look like I was going to find anything in good shape for that price but I was being patient since I still have the '01 in the meantime. I stumbled across a nice one for $3,500neg. in Killeen, TX about 2hr away from me and jumped on it. I picked it up yesterday, here are the pics from when I got it home:

fWYbzvr.jpg

nlJ7vTI.jpg

m9SwbKU.jpg

aavuwjd.jpg

vXJn8Pu.jpg

sdTxXd7.jpg

kY41jas.jpg

8eGJU3G.jpg

I bought the truck from a guy who had just finished his service time in the military at Ft. Hood, he moved back to his family in California and did not want to pay to transport the truck back with a baby on the way, so he made me a deal. I am the 3rd owner. It doesn't look like its been ragged out, with all of the old man gear still on it im assuming the first owner wasn't a kid that kept it that way for almost 2 decades. Rust is minimal to nil, with none in the common trouble spots and it has never been wrecked. It has a 350 in it with almost 30k on a rebuild and 229k on the body. Overall the body is in awesome shape, the undercarriage and suspension is showing age - but much of that will be replaced or cleaned up - and the interior is still all there and everything works but I will be doing alot of work to bring it back to life and change the color from navy to charcoal.

The plans will change as I learn more about the truck and really nail down what I want the end result to be, but here is what I've got in mind for now:

Current Specs:
- 1990 K5 Blazer Silverado, 4X4, 5.7L TBI, 700r4 trans.
- 15x10 or x11 Centerline Wheels, 32x11.5 BFG A/T
- Stock other than wheels and head unit

What currently needs repair to get it to where it can be driven reliably and comfortably, going to fix these things before doing any heavy modifying:
- It has a bad shake at highway speeds from the rear end. Im thinking it is the driveshaft/u-joint/CV, but not sure (done).
- Stereo does not work when the headlights are on and is powered directly to the battery, ghetto wiring and poor mounting
- Front windows do not roll down
- A/C compressor will need replacement, and blower does not work (will address this in early spring '15)
- Cruise control inop.
- Steering is a tad loose, steering wheel is off-center
- Brakes pull to the right when applied %50+
- Gas gauge always reads empty, speedometer reads innacurately
- Power steering pump leaks
- LF door needs a new lock cylinder
- Air leaks through alot of the weatherstripping and seals at highway speed
- Gas petal is hard to push (done, needs a new cable though)
- Wheels need a polish and seal

Future plans:
Interior:
- Swap to charcoal/colormatched interior: carpet, dash, seats, door panels, seatbelts, and headliner will be replaced. Everything else will be dyed or painted.
- Replace gauges with new white-face gauges when I swap the dash, replace fuel gauge with tachometer and move fuel gauge to smaller open space.
- Line-X floor behind rear seats
- Replace speakers, add 2 kick-panel speakers and 1 10" sub, new head unit mounting and wiring
- NBS Charcoal seats and overhead console
- Center console from new model truck or custom made
- Fully sound deaden/insulate under carpet when swapping
- 30% tint on all windows
- Billet steering wheel, and possibly column

Body:
- Remove wheel well trim (done), bedliner on inner wheel wells
- Trim rain gutters
- Replace or remove tailgate trim (done)
- Repair scratches, PDR, touch up paint, then full paint correction and detail
- Replace black OBS mirrors with old-style chrome mirrors
- Grille swap - thinking of the 4-lense 85-88 grille at this point, then colormatch
- HIDs depending on what headlight lense I use, and LED reverse/field lights
- Strip and coat the frame

Suspension:
- I honestly dont know yet! I need to repair all of the issues to start with, then the interior will be my next focus. The wheel/tire combo fits well and looks good, the suspension rides well for a 24yo truck, and the tires have a ton of life left in them so there is no hurry there. I would like to run a 6"ish lift with a 35" tire on 15x12" or x14 wheels - but am still undecided on the end result.

Motor:
- Simple repair and maintenance for now. Not modding an old rebuilt 350. I really wanted an '87-91 since they came with the TBI, this will make it much easier if I ever want to swap a 5.3 down the road. I will, however, replace the drone-ey, loud si/so muffler with a longer Magnaflow and a dumped tip.

Im in no hurry to finish this thing, but ill be damned if im going to move as slowly as I did on the '01 build. I can handle almost everything on this list myself or with friends - no frame welding or extensive body work needed that will hold me up, and no reason to take it off the road for months at a time waiting for parts or money. Overall going to keep it fairly simple. Pretty pumped about this one, Ill be sure to chronicle it well right here!

Last edited:

Khaos

Bed Dent Club Founder
Mar 24, 2012
Albany, NY
Hngggggggg, looks clean! All the K5s up my way are rot boxes :( really looking forward to seeing you work on it and bring it back to life.

Tylers88

3 GM's and a Jeep
Apr 16, 2012
Clarion, IA
Needs more 15x12 Welds and 35 TSLs :imo:. Looks super clean, would love to find something like this, I miss my K5.

Adjusted

Super Moderator
Feb 8, 2012
Tacoma, Washington
Hngggggggg, looks clean! All the K5s up my way are rot boxes :( really looking forward to seeing you work on it and bring it back to life.

Thats the best thing about TX, hot as hell but it keeps the salt off the roads. Although I wouldnt mind taking this thing for a romp in the snow once its done.

so cool. should look bitching bagged lifted and floating around like in the jetsons lol.

:wat:

Nice. So glad you're gonna swap those mirrors. :thumbsup:

Thanks, and yeah, those things are BAD

Needs more 15x12 Welds and 35 TSLs :imo:. Looks super clean, would love to find something like this, I miss my K5.

Dooooo want some welds, I really wish these Centerlines were 15x12 - Id probably just run them, theyre a good looking wheel and I do have a thing for Centerlines :cool:

Let me have it

:ohu: buy one, drop it, then we can trade for a few months out of the year. Done.

Smith

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 28, 2011
Louisiana
Looking forward to see the finished project! Really like K5's. Ton on Craigslist but most are super redneckified

Adjusted

Super Moderator
Feb 8, 2012
Tacoma, Washington
Worked on it some today. Basically removing all of the old man/90s crap, the valence, all stickers, and checked out the condition some more. Got all of the fender and taillight molding off with no problems, that made me happy - but the hatch emblems and rear strip fought me pretty hard, I like the way the rear looks much more now. Here are some new pics, next up is to clean it up and start fixing the issues.

Blk2cGC.jpg

GirqNae.jpg

This is the most 90's picture youll see on this website today. Note the CAR MOBILE PHONE HOLDER and a sweet sweet dash pad with Blaz'n on it :turborofl:. And the license plate says 'Bad Ass Boys Drive Bad Ass Toys' Fresh outta the street scene catalog, good lord.

WYQSWzm.jpg

The tow hitch will go back once once its cleaned up and powdercoated.

Huck

BIIIIG SQRBDY GUY
Jan 27, 2011
Gainesville, Ga
Good score, looking forward to see it progress. Wayyyy better starting spot than that POS '85 I bought earlier this year

Sent from Tapatwat