A/C Probz? need help

06_LowTie

HID+
Apr 2, 2013
Bear, Delaware, United States
The A/C in my damn truck isnt working, i usually dont use it but figured id try it the other day just incase one of them hot days decides to happen... turned it on and the compressor doesnt kick on. Didnt check the freon yet but figured id ask on here to see if the level of freon should matter? The compressor should still kick on without any freon in the lines right? Its not locked up cause when i had the truck running and the A/C was turned on i tapped on the pully and it spun a little but didnt kick on... anyone know what this problem is?

Adjusted

Super Moderator
Feb 8, 2012
Tacoma, Washington
The A/C in my damn truck isnt working, i usually dont use it but figured id try it the other day just incase one of them hot days decides to happen... turned it on and the compressor doesnt kick on. Didnt check the freon yet but figured id ask on here to see if the level of freon should matter? The compressor should still kick on without any freon in the lines right? Its not locked up cause when i had the truck running and the A/C was turned on i tapped on the pully and it spun a little but didnt kick on... anyone know what this problem is?

No, if the pressure sensor doesnt sense enough pressure in the accumulator it will not allow the system to run. This could mean several things:

1. Your pressure sensor is bad (not very likely). 2. Your compressor took a dump (you can usually hear this if its happening, sounds like a bearing is worn out). 3. There is a blockage at the orifice or a leak somewhere. 4. You are just very low on refrigerant.

Before replacing anything I would recharge the system and add some fluorescent fluid to the compressor so that you can check for leaks with a black light if it continues to give you problems. Keep us updated.

Country_09

Jun 12, 2012
Mont Belvieu
Mine did this recently. Replaced the orifice tube since its cheap as fawk, then had it vacuumed and recharged. Compressor still didn't want to kick on. Jumped the low pressure sensor and it ran like a champ. Replace that switch and AC will freeze you out now.