99-07classic Intake Bypass Mod

Colyn.

Acrophobic
Mar 17, 2012
Alma, GA
Okay so today I had time so I went ahead and did the intake bypass mod to keep the intake cooler thus in theory getting better throttle responce and alittle hp (maybe) its free so what do you have to loose? I will also say that this isn't really recommended for the guys up north. Dont know if there is any truth to this but just something to research for yourselves.

Things you need...
Screw Driver
Plyers
And some caps to cover the old holes (you don't have to but I feel better doing it and looks cleaner)

First remove the intake tube, I have a K&N so I just simply spun the tubing up and out the way... now unhook the long line running into the intake and lay it to the side. You will loose alittle fluid.

u3ehyged.jpg

re8urety.jpg

Now unhook the one coming out of the opposite side.

3apyradu.jpg

ujyby5aj.jpg

Should look like this...

teze9y7e.jpg

This is where you would need the caps I'm not sure on size but I'm going to get some caps from oriellys.

u8aqu6y7.jpg

So now hook the long line straight to the one on the engine.

badura6a.jpg

atusaras.jpg

Now just connect the line back onto the clips and your all done. Reinstall your intake tube and enjoy....

zatybu5u.jpg

I washed my engine afterwards cause it was horrible.

teperude.jpg

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy SIII using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
Nice write up.

Only thing I'll add is I've read that the northern guys shouldn't really don't his because it keeps the intakes from icing up when it is colder out. Don't know if there's much or any truth to that, but worth stating.

just an idea but if you arent super concered about looks couldnt you just loop shorter hose on TB?

You mean use the small peice of hose and hook it to each side kinda making a C shape? And noe my buddy said it did on his old 4.8 but when he put his 6.0 in he did it before so no before and after feel on throttle response.

Just went and drove it pretty hard for about 15 mins and before you couldn't touch the intake or it would burn you now its cold to the touch and the lines around it are very hot so it does what its suppost to do. Has to be better for the engine considering the air is a good bit cooler.

Its been a few months since I've cleaned mine but next time I mess with it will be when I port/polish it.... really want to do that just haven't had time or the know how..

Did mine earlier, I just pulled the throttle body off and cleaned both sides and the intake inlet..do want to port/polish though

Damn been meaning to do this just forgot about it. Probably do this on Saturday when I plan to was the truck.