93 Silverado bad valve?

kidskr3w

Feb 3, 2018
So I’m thinking of buying a 1993 Silverado this Thursday. The owner said it has a burnt valve because the engine misfires. I rode in it today and it drove but I really didn’t know if it was messed up or not. He said it kept skipping or stuttering, misfiring but I couldn’t tell to be honest. But he did floor it and it didn’t really accelerate as it should. He said he has new heads that will go with the truck and he said that could fix it but once you take off the heads it might that the block is messed up and will need a rebuild. This truck only has 63k miles on it that why I’m interested but my question is, is it worth it? Does it really have a burnt valve? And what does having a burnt valve mean anyway? Symptoms? I appreciate any advice. Thanks guys have a good one!

Attachments

• 824E003B-80FC-4DE2-8CD8-ABA011A69009.jpeg
    824E003B-80FC-4DE2-8CD8-ABA011A69009.jpeg
    624.5 KB · Views: 3

kidskr3w

Feb 3, 2018
Compression or leakdown test would tell ya.

Look up the dollar bill test.
Okay so I bought the truck, it’s now mine, and I did the bill test and it was in fact making that fluttering sound the videos I saw mentioned. So it is sucking air back into the engine. What should I do now? Should I just sell? I’d really like to keep it for work. How much would it cost to get the engine rebuilt? It’s a 350 small block

TheBrettster

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 9, 2010
Okay so I bought the truck, it’s now mine, and I did the bill test and it was in fact making that fluttering sound the videos I saw mentioned. So it is sucking air back into the engine. What should I do now? Should I just sell? I’d really like to keep it for work. How much would it cost to get the engine rebuilt? It’s a 350 small block

Do you need it as a daily?

If not, its a simple project if you are willing to learn.

kidskr3w

Feb 3, 2018
Do you need it as a daily?

If not, its a simple project if you are willing to learn.
I do need it as a daily work truck but I’m willing to let it sit while I get the engine rebuild either by taking it to a shop or doing it myself. But I am ready to learn, and ready to get my hands dirty. I’ve been doing research and watching videos but I’m still a little lost.

TheBrettster

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 9, 2010
I do need it as a daily work truck but I’m willing to let it sit while I get the engine rebuild either by taking it to a shop or doing it myself. But I am ready to learn, and ready to get my hands dirty. I’ve been doing research and watching videos but I’m still a little lost.
Honestly,

You can get a junkyard/spare 350 for nothing. Take photos, there are tons of guides online and just go for it. Many of us know our way around a small block and can assist. For me it was one of those things as I took it apart, I had a better understanding of how things worked and went back together.

Reactions: kidskr3w

kidskr3w

Feb 3, 2018
Honestly,

You can get a junkyard/spare 350 for nothing. Take photos, there are tons of guides online and just go for it. Many of us know our way around a small block and can assist. For me it was one of those things as I took it apart, I had a better understanding of how things worked and went back together.
Oh wow I never thought of it like that lol I’m going to go ahead and do that instead, thanks for your help!