Salem Oregon
2012 gmc Sierra crew cab 4x4

Stuff I have now / all most ready for swap

Ly6 6.0 block
Lq9 flat top pistons
Cnc ls3 ported heads
Ls3 intake manifold
1 7/8 headers with 3" exhaust

I'm still haven't decided on a cam/converter this is my daily driver/street truck I'm shooting for around 500whp but anything over 450 will be satisfied for a daily. Most shop recommend a 224/224 or a 228/234 and 218/224 I'm looking for power not just for sounds. Converter I'm looking from 3500-4000k. What would you guys recommend.

I have stock gears 4.10 with a 6 speed transmission any recommendations on gears as well. Keep in my mind this is a 5k truck.

Last edited:

TechieTruckGuy

3.5 EcoHell
Apr 10, 2013
Bakersfield , CA
If you're going to put new Pistons in it might as well stroke it and make it a 408. That should get you to your 450-500 no problem.

Sent from the 4.hate using tapaturd

bu1ldv8

Jul 7, 2015
Salem Oregon
If you're going to put new Pistons in it might as well stroke it and make it a 408. That should get you to your 450-500 no problem.

I got new pistons for $100 with rods so I'm just going this route. All just save the money and stroke my 6.2 and build it for my 2 door Chevy.

Malikk Loftis

Jun 15, 2014
If you're gonna be building a motor and changing pistons go forged. Ly6 is basically a better lq4/lq9. Not sure if you're starting with a short block/long block of bare block.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jared

Administrator
Feb 8, 2012
North Dallas
500 is hard unless you're running a very large/aggressive cam, ported intake, and an aggressive tune, sure you want to DD that?

Why not call one of the top names in the game and tell them what you want and spec a cam?

Futral, Patrick Guerra, Lil John Motor Sports, Geoff at EPS, Brian Tooley I don't think you will be where you want with that 218 cam

HackMcMaster

Jun 26, 2012
Dunes
500 is hard unless you're running a very large/aggressive cam, ported intake, and an aggressive tune, sure you want to DD that?

Why not call one of the top names in the game and tell them what you want and spec a cam?

Futral, Patrick Guerra, Lil John Motor Sports, Geoff at EPS, Brian Tooley I don't think you will be where you want with that 218 cam
he could do a blower to keep it more streetable

too much piston rock

bu1ldv8

Jul 7, 2015
Salem Oregon

I have contacted this places Comp cam. Texas speed.thompson motorsports and some other ones but Most suggest 224 cam

Oct 16, 2011
SoCal
not sure what size combustion chamber youre going with or if youre milling them down, but with flat tops on a big valve/big lift/big duration cam, you have to be careful with piston to valve clearance.

Jared

Administrator
Feb 8, 2012
North Dallas
Send the intake to Rick Crawford or Futral Motorsports to be modded. They have had better results with their mods over a fast intake

Moore

Feb 12, 2012
Maryland
New Cam-only LS3 dyno results:: 517whp/462wtq 24* timing - LS1TECH

500 is possible on a cammed ls3 headed motor...not sure about in a truck and it would be more of a max effort set up which probably wouldnt be that fun to daily. I think a more realistic power goal would be in the low to maybe mid 400s. Idk shit about square ports and very little about cathedral but if you notice some of the more reputable cam manufactures run a bigger split in their ls3 cams (i.e. tick performance...btr and ljms(same shit)). Might be worth giving one of them a call or email with your goals and they should be able to get you taken care of and shed more light on the ptv clearance issue eddie mentioned cause that's a whole nother can of worms

Jared

Administrator
Feb 8, 2012
North Dallas
6.2 vs 6.0

It is possible. Wooderson G8 was pushing a little over 500. But it was a pretty big build from Futral

Slow05CC

Avery@texas-speed.com
Apr 25, 2014
Round Rock, Tx.
Contact Pat G and have him spec you a custom cam! If you are looking for an all out performance build I wouldn't settle for a shelf cam!

I am currently building an all out performance 5.3 and I am going with a custom cam from Pat G. There is no way I would feel confident sticking a shelf grind in there

Just my opinion!

I think your goal is possible, but its going to need one hell of an aggressive cam and tune. Maybe an aftermarket intake ( not all that caught up on LS3 intakes ) like a fast, or the holley high rise. I see you mentioned your heads are ported, but didn't see if you had milled them? Milling them will net more power, but like eddie said you would have to be careful about cams at that point. That is why Id go with a custom grind! tell them your mods and build and let the cam geniuses build the heart of your motor. Those guys know how for you can go with lift/duration/lsa and can build you something that will not have PTV issues. Fly cutting isn't a huge deal, but you would have to load everything up and take it to a machinist.

EPS lobes is what Pat G uses I believe! His cams are no joke!

If you are set on a shelf cam, you might check out vengeance racing, as they have some mean cams

Last edited:

Jared

Administrator
Feb 8, 2012
North Dallas
Contact Pat G and have him spec you a custom cam! If you are looking for an all out performance build I wouldn't settle for a shelf cam!

I am currently building an all out performance 5.3 and I am going with a custom cam from Pat G. There is no way I would feel confident sticking a shelf grind in there

Just my opinion!

I think your goal is possible, but its going to need one hell of an aggressive cam and tune. Maybe an aftermarket intake ( not all that caught up on LS3 intakes ) like a fast, or the holley high rise. I see you mentioned your heads are ported, but didn't see if you had milled them? Milling them will net more power, but like eddie said you would have to be careful about cams at that point. That is why Id go with a custom grind! tell them your mods and build and let the cam geniuses build the heart of your motor. Those guys know how for you can go with lift/duration/lsa and can build you something that will not have PTV issues. Fly cutting isn't a huge deal, but you would have to load everything up and take it to a machinist.

EPS lobes is what Pat G uses I believe! His cams are no joke!

If you are set on a shelf cam, you might check out vengeance racing, as they have some mean cams

you should really look at back to back dynos, it has been proven that a Rick Crawford modded intake or one from Futral puts down more power than Fast, and on a few occasions about the same but for less money.
http://www.g8board.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111914

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118381

https://www.facebook.com/RickCrawfordRacing/posts/895691137134213

Last edited:

Slow05CC

Avery@texas-speed.com
Apr 25, 2014
Round Rock, Tx.
you should really look at back to back dynos, it has been proven that a Rick Crawford modded intake or one from Futral puts down more power than Fast, and on a few occasions about the same but for less money.
Rick Crawford Intake vs FAST 102...Dyno Results. - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com

F.A.S.T Intake Manifold LS3 - Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

https://www.facebook.com/RickCrawfordRacing/posts/895691137134213

Ive never looked into the fast intake! personally I don't want one, but I know it is a big hit on other forums and I have seen huge improvements of both mentioned intakes over a TBSS/NBSS intake. Thanks for the links, I will check those out!

So disregard my whole intake talk in my previous post! I don't know much about the LS3 intake, but I have seen that factory intakes, even thought they are great in most instances may not be the best for all out power and may hold you back from hitting your number! If it was up to me I would run the Holley just because I like the way it looks!

Slow05CC

Avery@texas-speed.com
Apr 25, 2014
Round Rock, Tx.
unless you're going FI, the modded LS3 works, it's been proven!

Learn something new everyday!

So back to topic:

Port the LS3 intake, and look into a custom cam!

I would be anxious to see how well the LS3 intake does on a truck! Again, I have never dug into the LS3 top end so I would be entertained to see if the LS3 heads/intake have the same drivability as using the LS6 heads/intake.

Slow05CC

Avery@texas-speed.com
Apr 25, 2014
Round Rock, Tx.
I need to make a trip up to DFW soon. Ill have to hit you up when I do. I need to pick up some 243s and Dallas seems to have a wealth of them!

I'll leave my truck in another parking lot so it doesn't make yours look bad hah!

Last edited: