Emery19

That Ford Guy
Apr 8, 2012
Mount Laurel, NJ
welp. being apart of gm forums for the last couple of years has really helped me, because you all know i'm a ford guy and the GMC is my dads. but now i need y'alls help on the GMC. my mom pulled into the driveway today while i was outside messing with my ranger and the truck was groaning. i knew it had been and i think its the power steering pump. or its low on fluid. it only groans when turning. So i was like mom pop the hood and turn the wheels so i can listen to the groan and so i can do the typical stare under the hood and see if something pops at me.. well i got a little distracted because i heard another noise.. a rattly tick thing that doesnt sound normal. I've never heard the truck do it before and i've had it running with the hood up before.

i took a vid. take a listen.

Yukon 5.3 weird noise - YouTube

it sounds mostly from the passenger side. because as the camera passes to the driver side, its quieter. Maybe this is normal. but something tells me this is a weird sound it shouldnt be making.. also. i smelt a little burnt oil when i popped the hood after i sat there thinking for a minute..

let it cool down and pulled the dipstick for the oil.. its only been driven 3000 miles since the last oil change but the dipstick is only registering half full.. wiped it off with the paper towel.. though this was pretty dark to be oil that's only seen 3000 miles

a736221b.jpg

maybe nothing is wrong with the truck. maybe im paranoid. but i don't want to have to dump a ton of money into this truck. or well i dont want my dad to have to seeing as it is his truck. its got 78k on it. any thoughts or am i just an idiot. you all know i'm a ford guy. gm's are strange things to me.

Emery19

That Ford Guy
Apr 8, 2012
Mount Laurel, NJ
that was my thought as well after i closed the hood. i shrugged and said it's probably the injectors making the sound. lifter tap anything to be worried about?

Keeler

Mar 25, 2012
Claremore, Oklahoma
I wouldn't. :shrug: I've had gms make more noise then that before. Hell my Ford makes a noise way louder than that on start up occasionally.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Emery19

That Ford Guy
Apr 8, 2012
Mount Laurel, NJ
I wouldn't. :shrug: I've had gms make more noise then that before. Hell my Ford makes a noise way louder than that on start up occasionally.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

alright, thanks man :shake: i just wanted to make sure it wasn't going to leave my dad stranded anywhere once i go back to school. trying to figure things out over the phone 500 miles away is a bit tricky. and yeah i know what you mean. i've heard some damn loud fords.

didnt watch the video, that oil doesnt look that dark, and 6 qts regesters half way on the dip stick, as long as your in the hatched area your fine.

dont forget it could be a small leak from the manifold making a tick as well. i know thats why my truck ticks

sounds good to me. im going to try to get under the hood this weekend and pull a plug see if theres any oil, like someone suggested i do. who knows. i feel better knowing its nothing really to be worried at this point.

Emery19

That Ford Guy
Apr 8, 2012
Mount Laurel, NJ
does the noise start getting faster when you give it throttle? if so, its a bad lifter

no idea. i haven't had the chance to snatch the keys for it. i've been doing some property management fo rthe last 2 weeks and running around between 4 different houses while the owners are gone so i'm never home. but things are slowing down as the summer end's hopefully i can look at it before i leave.