Huck

BIIIIG SQRBDY GUY
Jan 27, 2011
Gainesville, Ga
Last week I ordered some good shit and it's started coming in so I couldn't wait to share lol:
Cal Speed 1 3/4" headers and 3" ORY
3" SS summit band clamps
3" ball flange
3" summit cutout (gonna just be a blockoff plate for now, gotta let the account recover a bit before I get the electric valve)
3" Dynomax Bullet
3" SI 2.5" DO Spintech Super Pro Street muffler 9000 series

Got this shit in the last couple days
parts071.jpg

parts074.jpg

parts078.jpg

Headers are supposed to be here tomorrow. If so, install will commence ASAP and hopefully get the rest of it welded up at the exhaust shop Thursday. Got wedding shit friday/saturday so hopefully it won't fight me too much.

I'm gonna do a writeup, even though we already have 2. But I'm 4x4 and we don't have a writeup for that so I'll report back with pics and any issues/things I could see being an issue for others. Can't freaking wait to hear it! :pepper:

Oh yeah, gonna run it all the way out the back like Col10's truck, but with dual 5x18" tips I've already got.
6inexhausttipduals.jpg

Last edited:

Huck

BIIIIG SQRBDY GUY
Jan 27, 2011
Gainesville, Ga
HEADERS CAME IN TODAY!!!
Apparently my neighborhood is almost at the end of this FedEx route so they didn't get here till 6 :argh: But I have a job interview tomorrow and a buddies wedding shit friday and saturday so the earliest it'll start is Sunday. And that's if my finances are still there. There's a possibility it may havta wait a little longer till I have money for the exhaust shop, we'll see. Anywho, on to the pics

Box was beat to shit, had my kinda worried
headers011.jpg

Came out pretty good though, just a few very minor issues.
headers002.jpg

headers003.jpg

Whole setup
headers014.jpg

headers021.jpg

A couple of the tubes were slightly out of round at the ends, but nothing that bit of work in the vise won't fix
headers028.jpg

headers030.jpg

headers035.jpg

And a couple of scuffs on the primaries and collectors, no biggie, I'll scuff em during install anyway
headers051.jpg

headers054.jpg

I had to buy a 3" coupler from spintech since I don't have my stocker any more and it tries to seat against the weld on the Cal Speed piece, not sure if it's gonna seal like that. I may just use both sides of the spintech coupler.
headers016.jpg

headers018.jpg

Is there a purpose to the kink in the Cal Speed coupler?
headers020.jpg

Other than those VERY minor issues, I'm impressed. Great finish, great welds, nice thick flanges. Well worth the money. Hopefully they fit nicely as well
headers032.jpg

headers040.jpg

headers042.jpg

headers038.jpg

headers044.jpg

headers046.jpg

headers048.jpg

And of course, gotta have a sticker. Wish Cal Speed would make some too
headers056.jpg

My favorite pic of all the goodies :pepper: :turbohump:
headers005.jpg

So anybody know what the kink in the Cal Speed coupler is for? I know I'll figure it out during install, just curious now. Also, no bolts so gonna havta go to Ace and get some. Gonna use the supplied gaskets with copper RTV. Had good luck in the past with that style of gasket/RTV.

Just hope my account's still good after this weekend so I can put them on

Jared

Administrator
Feb 8, 2012
North Dallas
I would not run those gaskets, hell, I would run the oem ones first...mine were like that upon arrival, they don't package worth a shit, and the delivery people suck!

Huck

BIIIIG SQRBDY GUY
Jan 27, 2011
Gainesville, Ga
Gonna try these first. I put the exact same shit on my 5.0 mustang that had LTs on it. Just used a layer of copper 'sensor safe' RTV on em and they were fine for 2 years. Not a hard thing to change out so if they blow, I'll just change em out. No biggie. I'll be happy if they last through the fall. Hope to swap in a 6.0 then anywayz :rock:

Jared

Administrator
Feb 8, 2012
North Dallas
your truck, your move, just saying. Make sure to spray shit on bolts, and run engine and let it get hot, then loosen bolts!

Huck

BIIIIG SQRBDY GUY
Jan 27, 2011
Gainesville, Ga
Oh I hear what you're saying. I just figure since they're already here and I've already got the RTV, I'll try em before I buy the others. But yes, will start the spraying and heating a couple days before install. Gonna do it a few times and one last really hot run before I take em off

cknox121

Mar 27, 2012
Tools needed, sockets, ratchets, jack, and a BFH :crazy:

Naw but for real you will probably have to dent them in some. Hope yours weren't as bad as mine. You should see them now with 6.0 :nono:

Watching for install pictures.

Jared

Administrator
Feb 8, 2012
North Dallas
how much gap do you have Da_Rebel in the two pieces bolted? I have some gap, but it wouldn't snug up anymore. Thinking some of my leak is from there, any gaskets?

Huck

BIIIIG SQRBDY GUY
Jan 27, 2011
Gainesville, Ga
cross post this on my calspeed thread too

Doing now :shake:

It's so the angle matches up to the stock exhaust just right:
019.jpg

Ahhhh I see. I've got the other couple as well, I'll just see which one works best since the rest will be custom done

Tools needed, sockets, ratchets, jack, and a BFH :crazy:

Naw but for real you will probably have to dent them in some. Hope yours weren't as bad as mine. You should see them now with 6.0 :nono:

Watching for install pictures.

You forgot beer and pizza :beer: Yeah we'll see. From the research I've done, it looks like leaving the whole Y-pipe slightly loose and having a buddy tighten after you move and position it helps. Idk, gonna try it.

Jared

Administrator
Feb 8, 2012
North Dallas
y pipe was kinda a bitch to get all pieced, crossmember HAD to come down for sure. Just jack up tranny just a hair (tiny bit) and remove bolts.

using some motor oil to help slide the parts together was handy, it burns off right after start up. feel free to browse my thread on gmfs as it had more info I think.

Da_Rebel

Just another guy
Mar 8, 2012
Sanger, TX
how much gap do you have Da_Rebel in the two pieces bolted? I have some gap, but it wouldn't snug up anymore. Thinking some of my leak is from there, any gaskets?

I just stepped outside and looked, it's slightly over 1/4" gap between the two. There is a miniscule amount of leaking. I didn't install gaskets on it at the time, although I plan to when I change out the muffler and e-cutout.

Huck

BIIIIG SQRBDY GUY
Jan 27, 2011
Gainesville, Ga
y pipe was kinda a bitch to get all pieced, crossmember HAD to come down for sure. Just jack up tranny just a hair (tiny bit) and remove bolts.

using some motor oil to help slide the parts together was handy, it burns off right after start up. feel free to browse my thread on gmfs as it had more info I think.

:shake: I checked that out the other day and took some notes. Gonna cut the exhaust off first, get manifolds off, then go ahead and take crossmember out before I do anything