Dakota

Dat Static 4wd
Mar 12, 2012
texarkana
Seems like we've been having a lot of 4wd lowering questions here lately so I thought I would make a thread for questions and reccomendations..

Front: there are a few different ways you can lower the front end of a 4x4, depending on how low you want to go and what you wanna spend..

-4wd use torsion bars in the front as opposed to coils used by 2wd, the torsion bars have torsion keys which allow you to adjust the height of the front end..to adjust the torsion keys raise the front end of the truck all the way off the ground letting the suspension hang..then locate the torsion bar crossmember, in the middle of the crossmember you will see a bolt head sticking out on each side, loosening the bolt will lower and tightening will raise the front end.
Decranking stock keys won't get you much drop but simply swapping in a set of 2500 keys and decranking will net around 3" of drop
In order to swap keys you will need to get the front end off the ground letting the suspension hang, then you can rent a torsion key removal tool (some auto parts stores may not have them) but a ball joint press tool works great too, place the top part of the ball joint press/torsion bar tool on the top of the crossmember and tighten it up to get the tension off the key, then knock the torsion bar out of the key, swap in the new keys and put it back together then repeat for the other side. Then loosen to achieve wanted drop.

-Spindles can be used but you must run 17+ spindles due to the cv axles. When installing spindles you have to cut the balljoint studs off flush with the bottom of the nut in order to clear the cv axles and make clearence for 17" rims. You can pair 2" drop spindles with decranked 2500 keys for 5" drop.
-lower control arms can be used for the front and can be bought in 3" and 4" drop, these should be paired with upper control arms in order to correct camber. This is the most expensive route but also rides the best.

Rear: the rear on a 4wd is basically the same as 2wd, only difference being that 4wd's have a 2" lift block from the factory. Removing this will get you a free 2" but you will need 2wd u bolts. Everything else can be done the same as 2wd..
-shackles
-hangers
-flip kit
On to some pictures
This was removed blocks and 2" shackles, stock up front
IMAG0548.jpg

This was flip kit with decranked 2500 keys
IMAG0587.jpg

Flip and shackles, decranked 2500 keys and 2" spindles with stock shocks(not reccomended)
IMAG0599.jpg

Same drop after adding belltech street performance shocks for 5/8
IMAG0658.jpg

IMAG0660.jpg

Decranked keys, spindles, flip kit, shackles, 3" blocks and helpers
IMAG0803.jpg

IMAG0804.jpg

Any questions or information to add feel free to post them here or pm me

Last edited:

Wrecktangle

Mar 27, 2012
Hollywood, MD
I probably will lift it, it still gets used like a truck sometimes lol lowered 4/6 wouldn't fair too well in the middle of a muddy corn field with a trailer full of decoys

Dakota

Dat Static 4wd
Mar 12, 2012
texarkana
Like jared said just depends on where you see it down the road from now, if you think you will lift it anyway or you think it would be more practical lifted, you might as well go ahead and lift it and save yourself a lot of money/work later on imo

Reactions: jiggie

Jared

Administrator
Feb 8, 2012
North Dallas
yeah, that's why I suggest not going low.

For me, I damn sure would slam a 4x4, mainly to get fgt rednecks all pissy. I'd have a sticker made stating it was a four-wheel drive...fuck debadging!

Dakota

Dat Static 4wd
Mar 12, 2012
texarkana
yeah, that's why I suggest not going low.

For me, I damn sure would slam a 4x4, mainly to get fgt rednecks all pissy. I'd have a sticker made stating it was a four-wheel drive...fuck debadging!

Lol I thought about putting a small 4x4 badge or z71 badge off a z71 tahoe on the gate but I think I like it better debadged

Wrecktangle

Mar 27, 2012
Hollywood, MD
I already planned on leaving my z71 decals on it if I did lower it lol still something to think about.. I mean look at bumpers nbs, it was slammed on the ground at one point but now its 6+3.

Dakota

Dat Static 4wd
Mar 12, 2012
texarkana
Yea its no problem to lower it now and lift it later if you decided it would better suit your needs lifted..obviously I'm a fan of lowered 4x4 but I get a lot of shit for doing it, especially rednecks apparently its a "waste if a 4wd" :lol: