4l60e swap question

nbsjesus

Aug 19, 2014
Anybody out there swapped their stock 4l60e for a newer 4l70e or 4l80e is it even possible and is their a significant performance increase with the 4.8 v8

First gear is a dog in the 80e. Without a good converter, you'll hate it.

I'll second what Graystone said: why the reason for the swap?

4l60e is giving out harsh takeoff sometimes jumps into gear, lo-reverse and slipping in gear shift between 1-2 I hear the 4l70-80 are way better trannys

If it's a pretty much stock truck, I'd just get it rebuilt and maybe upgrade to the 4L65 guts and a hardened sunshell

4l65e is almost the exact same as a 4l60e, just a different planetary. 4l70e isn't much better at either. Same shit. 4l80e is entirely different trans all together. You'll hate unless you're making 400+ rwhp and have a good converter.

I've swapped my factory 4l65e for a 4l80e. I went through 4 65e's before swapping it. If I didn't plan on building more power later I wouldn't have done it and would've just stayed with a 65e. Now I'm looking to get into the 600+ rwhp and I'm glad I upgraded to the 80e. I also have a 6.0 though. With a 4.8 unless you're going boosted you're gonna want to keep the 60e. If it's having problems it might be time for a rebuild.

Sent from Tapashit

Last edited:
4l65e is almost the exact same as a 4l60e, just a different planetary. 4l70e isn't much better at either. Same shit. 4l80e is entirely different trans all together. You'll hate unless you're making 400+ rwhp and have a good converter.

I've swapped my factory 4l65e for a 4l80e. I went through 4 65e's before swapping it. If I didn't plan on building more power later I wouldn't have done it and would've just stayed with a 65e. Now I'm looking to get into the 600+ rwhp and I'm glad I upgraded to the 80e. I also have a 6.0 though. With a 4.8 unless you're going boosted you're gonna want to keep the 60e. If it's having problems it might be time for a rebuild.

Sent from Tapashit
Any easy ways to improve on the 4l80e?

Driveshaft stays the same unless you're 4wd, then you'll need a new front Ds. Other than that you'll just need a new yoke. Cool lines are the same but one has to be bent to a different spot. You have to do a little wiring and have an adapter harness also. There's tons more room for improvement with the 80e though. In completely stock form they will take 600-700 hp no problem. Upgrade a few parts and you have a trans that'll take 1000-1200 if you need it.

Sent from Tapashit