4L60E problem?

TheSuspensionSource

The Lowering Experts
Not a fullsize but it's a 94' s10 blazer 4.3 automatic with a 4L60E trans.

It takes off in 3rd (I think) and does not shift into overdrive. Had a shop look at it, said I needed new trans.

Replaced trans, torque converter and trans speed sensor. Well it's doing the same damn thing....any suggestions?

Is it throwing any codes for any of the shift solenoids?

Typically if its starting in a gear other than first its electrical. If you have a plug problem or wiring problem the trans will default to third gear basically a limp mode. If shift solenoid B is out the trans is forced only to use 3rd/4th but it will take off in forth if you have it in drive.

Can you access or use any gears commanding 1/2/3 with the shifter? I'm assuming you still have reverse?

Is it throwing any codes for any of the shift solenoids?

Typically if its starting in a gear other than first its electrical. If you have a plug problem or wiring problem the trans will default to third gear basically a limp mode. If shift solenoid B is out the trans is forced only to use 3rd/4th but it will take off in forth if you have it in drive.

Can you access or use any gears commanding 1/2/3 with the shifter? I'm assuming you still have reverse?

Wish the shop I went to first would have started here instead of telling me I needed a new trans LOL. I can just use 1,2,R with shifter. It's going to a different transmission shop today to see what's going on. I am over $700 into this now. =(

sounds like your experiencing a issue with the wiring from the PCM to the trans whether it be at a plug, or just a wire short; and its going to basically a fail safe mode. Sounds exactly what happened to my buds truck.

If this is the case, i find it very odd that it randomly starting doing this. This normally happens right after the trans or motor has been pulled resulting in a pinched wire, or something not being fully plugged in. Since from what i gathered it sounds like your trans just started randomly doing this it gives me doubts and makes me lean to Shift solenoid B failed or stuck.

I know 99+ trucks will throw the engine light for shift solenoid faults.

Are you getting any codes for any of the shift solenoids?

sounds like your experiencing a issue with the wiring from the PCM to the trans whether it be at a plug, or just a wire short; and its going to basically a fail safe mode. Sounds exactly what happened to my buds truck.

If this is the case, i find it very odd that it randomly starting doing this. This normally happens right after the trans or motor has been pulled resulting in a pinched wire, or something not being fully plugged in. Since from what i gathered it sounds like your trans just started randomly doing this it gives me doubts and makes me lean to Shift solenoid B failed or stuck.

I know 99+ trucks will throw the engine light for shift solenoid faults.

Are you getting any codes for any of the shift solenoids?

Aren't the solenoids inside this transmission? No codes of any sort popping up.

highly slim sorry i read over the "replaced trans" part.

Heres how i would go about solenoid testing. I would use my hp-tuners and command each solenoid and listen for them while the truck isnt running. Thats who i trouble shot my TCC solenoid. You could do this with a tech scanner if you know someone at a good shop.

Or as bryan said id suspect wiring, but it would easier to first eliminate solenoid issues

highly slim sorry i read over the "replaced trans" part.

Heres how i would go about solenoid testing. I would use my hp-tuners and command each solenoid and listen for them while the truck isnt running. Thats who i trouble shot my TCC solenoid. You could do this with a tech scanner if you know someone at a good shop.

Or as bryan said id suspect wiring, but it would easier to first eliminate solenoid issues

its a 94, so no OBD2 so no HP tuners IIRC