4L60E build - FLT, Monster Trans, Or? Swapping in a built 60e, options and opinions

j.mo

Apr 24, 2012
Nor Cal
My trans is starting to give me some trouble, so while its out getting a new Circle D converter, ill be swapping in a built 60e now, rather than later down the road.

im looking at FLT level 3, and 4, or Monster Trans HD 60e.

I will be doing a fair share of towing/hauling with the truck, and the stall speed will fall somewhere in the 3k range.

No major horsepower going through the trans, just basic bolt ons - LT's, cam, heads, intake mani

80e seems out of the question due to down time, and supporting mods to make it happen.

What are your guys thoughts on companies, and who do you like/prefer?

Fiesty

Jul 28, 2013
Kansas City, MO
Heard way too many bad stories with Monster. I'd run a Performabuilt. Bgerald on gmfs has one in his turbo lq4 ccsb. FLT isn't bad though, haven't heard as many bad stories about them.

j.mo

Apr 24, 2012
Nor Cal
just got off the phone with monster.
they offer a 3/yr no questions warranty on their heavy duty line, $1600, but only a 90 day on their Super duty, more expensive $1900 line. dafuq is up with that

DirtyBlackHD

Mmmmk
Jan 23, 2011
Www.google.com
Nt important.
Monster transmission sounds like monster energy. He can run monster energy stickers on his truck to match his monster energy flatbill hat.
Cencal life.

Samuel6731

Cant Get Right
Mar 11, 2012
New Roads La.
go local. Same with tuning IMO.

If you have trouble its easy to get it taken care of. So what if someone offers a 3 year guarantee if they do not honor it. Do a quick search and review their consumers complaints. Also spending 350-450 on shipping plus weeks of wait time if they DO HONOR their product.

I dont even know if i have or what my warranty is. I know that if i break it racing or its my fault than i will pay, if it fails randomly than i do not.
But i do know one thing, i can pull it out drop it off, and have it back in the truck the next day.

Alot of these small time shops will help you out. (not chain shops) Say if something does break, the part cost 50 bucks instead of you may pay 200-300. Great if its out of its warranty, but even if its inside the warranty and they are forcing for you to pay it at least your still spending less than shipping to BFE, and not waiting weeks.

I almost always try to do business local for reasons like this.
Just remember just because you have level 126541323 megacockaolops 60e doesnt mean its as strong as a 80e with a shift kit

If i HAD TO recommend an online dealer, it would be FLT. Iv never really head bad from them, performashit my buddy went round and round with and still lost thousands of dollars on a 80e! monster trans... well their reviews speaks for themselves

Last edited:

j.mo

Apr 24, 2012
Nor Cal
Chuck @ FLT seems like a good guy.
Talked to him for about 20 mins today, and he feels that I need to be above the level 4 60.
A lot of folks seem to be most concerned with towing/hauling and 37 tire size.
And less with the power output.

Level 4 may get me through, but towing he thinks I really should be in a more hd trans.

Problem, is I don't want to drop $2700+converter ($460) + R&R ($650) = $3800
On a 10yr old truck. To still hopefully get by. At this point I am considering a 3/4 ton diesel
Hell maybe even a 6.0 2500 with an 80e as my cam/heads are bolt on

bgray

Stylish Canadian
Mar 17, 2012
Onterrible, Canada
Local is always nice, but for me theres no one around here that cna build stout stuff, our market is to small

I have a FLT level 7. Ran in my rcsb with a big stall beeating the hell outta it. Now its in my ccsb with a blower....beating the hell outta it.

Dealt with flt lots of times for other tranny parts also, I cannot say enough good things about them!

Moore

Feb 12, 2012
Maryland
6.0 flexplate/spacer
Front shaft, GM PN 15182094 <-- apparently it bolts right in
Cooler lines
Wiring, diy or pcm of NC wiring harness
1350 yoke on rear shaft, from what I understand the yoke swap will keep it the same length, so you will need to shorten rear shaft 1 and 11/16th of an inch
Segment swap/tune? Apparently you can mail your pcm out and have someone else deal with this shit
Probably missed something

j.mo

Apr 24, 2012
Nor Cal
Justin will take care of tuning.
Will get on the phone with Chris @ circle d for flex plate
I believe I can get the cooler lines/fittings with the 80e from FLT

Thank you Malik! Gonna check out that driveline now

After this is all said and done, I'll make a thread with links to the parts and document my travels. I'm pretty sure this is the route lll take.
Will find out 100% tomorrow after diagnostic.

Jared

Administrator
Feb 8, 2012
North Dallas
I would seriously, at least, investigate further into Jake's Performance. The online real reviews from customers have been great!

CammedVmax

Still stuck
Jun 5, 2013
Longview, TX
I'd go jakes performance also. Coming from somebody that has an 80e, don't do it. You'll hate it unless you have a blower or 600+ rwhp. I'm gonna have to do a gear swap now just to make mine kinda of quick off the line again.

Sent from Tapashit