2014-2018 Steering Wheel Control Wire for aftermarket head units

Oktain

Canuck Admin
Staff member
Feb 9, 2012
Sudbury, ON
I'm leaving this here, hoping it'll help someone else down the road. I would have paid someone for this info.

LONG STORY SHORT, I installed a Chinese Android head unit in my 2015 Sierra. I'm thoroughly impressed with it, and I love the fact that I have an android tablet in my dash.

What I had issues with however was the total lack of instructions for installing this thing. I was originally sent the wrong wiring harnesses, etc. I was finally at a point where everything was working except my steering controls. The seller was dragging his feet on sending me the correct T harness for the clock-spring so I began my search to figure out which wire I had to tap under the steering column. I found this thread: https://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/to...-steering-wheel-controls-io5-stereo-retrofit/

And what I was looking for is pictured below. I tapped the green wire in pin 2 of the clockspring connector, under the steering column with a T-tap and ran it to the Can Bus box from China, set the manufacturer for my truck in the factory settings of the head unit/tablet and they worked INSTANTLY. Even retained the factory external temperature sensor data lol.

This is why forums are better than Facebook.

post-148500-0-75691100-1475977182.png

Last edited:
Reactions: TheBrettster