2004 GMC Seirra SRT

hddoc

Oct 18, 2013
Tampa Bay
Have 20" speedster foose wheels on my 2004 Sierra RST that came stock on the truck new. The chrome is fading and starting to pit, I have cleaned them up but they look bad to me. I was thing of just painting the rims and the 6 spokes look good I want to save these wheels Anyone painted there custom 20" wheels ? Thanks Doc

Powdercoating really is the best answer, paint will eventually start to peel.

Think I will do a gloss black, goes good with the black truck and what's left of the chrome on the wheels. Thanks Doc

OK called the coater, to much money, I will try to paint them, anyone done this ? Any tips ? Thanks Doc

Pretty sure most here probably haven't. It might be more now, but like boosted said, they will start peeling after awhile, then you'll be back at the start again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

By the time you get failing chrome prepped to the point to suit a quality powder coater and get a nice finish, he could buy new wheels.

He called one place, which is why I suggested calling others. Typically painting/powdercoating is about the same, and if anything, PC is cheaper, and more durable.

So, OP, of you want to truly save them, call several reputable places and get a quote. Just remember, when you are having PC done, a knowledgeable shop is best, don't cheap out or you will be unhappy with the results. Many places will blast the fuck out of your wheels and it will have a shitty finish. Make sure they know what they are doing.

Paint is a good option, but once again, doing it, and doing it right will be a difference in pricing as I am sure you are aware of.

He called one place, which is why I suggested calling others. Typically painting/powdercoating is about the same, and if anything, PC is cheaper, and more durable.

So, OP, of you want to truly save them, call several reputable places and get a quote. Just remember, when you are having PC done, a knowledgeable shop is best, don't cheap out or you will be unhappy with the results. Many places will blast the fuck out of your wheels and it will have a shitty finish. Make sure they know what they are doing.

Paint is a good option, but once again, doing it, and doing it right will be a difference in pricing as I am sure you are aware of.

Which is why I said what I did...I've dealt with chrome wheels, pitting, powder....I'm quite familiar with pricing just to powder, and the extra work/cost associated with chrome, particularly poor chrome. I'm assuming he is looking at doing the painting himself, and looking to save these wheels simply to be economical.

Like I said, and Jared elaborated on, beware of quality. I'm sure that's going to be more than you want to spend just to save them. Even to paint is going to take a lot of prep. Dip would be fine as long as you aren't anal, and its just something temporary. Pics would help :imo:

wheels002.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Pic of one of the wheels,

They look good at 10 feet. But I can see the pits. I have been thinking save the wheels to keep it original RST look but maybe that is not important to the value of this truck. I have not found these wheels anywhere for sale Foose Speedster that match these wheels. Thanks Doc

if you are looking for a quick, cheap fix then plsti dip will work...BUT it will not look the best and will NOT last. If you MUST save the wheels, then powder will be your best option for the best look and will last, but as you have found out it is not cheap. Quality work is never cheap. As always has mentioned, depending on the prices in your area, it might be time to look into some new wheels. You can always find some quality used wheels for great prices.

If you are looking to paint them yourself, I know very few people actually have painted their wheels before on here, make sure to do some reading up on the paint you use. Prep work on rims like that will be very time consuming which is also why the powder is expensive as well. If you do not prep the wheels well, paint will not stick.

Plasti dip isnt a bad option if you want flat color. You cant replicate chrome or gloss well with plasti dip but they have some new sweet metallic colors.