06_crewcab_ss

May 12, 2013
Baltimore, Maryland, United States
Lately I've found myself hearing a slight humming noise coming I believe from the front end of my truck. I only hear it when coasting and/or moderately braking between 25 and 35mph. It also feels like there is a slight vibration when i hear the noise.

Again its only heard when coasting or braking at certain speeds.

Any ideas what it could be?

BOO5TED

Resident Smartass
Jan 7, 2011
ATL
Wheel bearing, brakes, front dif if awd, shafts, ujoints, fluid discombobulator, wobble shaft, muffler bearing, flux capacitor, axle juicer, or maybe your water fluctuation pressure regulator. Could be a number of things really.

But seriously though, could be any of the first five.

:crazy:

Last edited:

06_crewcab_ss

May 12, 2013
Okay, lets give a little more info then lol.

Wheel bearings were replaced a few weeks ago. Rear diff was rebuilt 2 weeks ago. Transmission was replaced approx 30k miles ago, I believe it was a reman, but it was done at the dealer under warranty. All fluids have been changed recently, within past month. Brakes were also recently done, fronts about 6 months ago with new pads and rotors, and the rears were done 2 weeks ago with the rear

I have heard that these trucks get pump rub in the transfer case and didn't know if that could be it or not.

Also found a fairly large amount of metal shavings on the drain plug of the front diff when I changed the fluid

Big Tex

slowly but surely
Jun 25, 2012
Dallas, TX
sounds like the noise/vibration I heard in my 1500 and it turned out being the wheel bearing. even though you recently replaced it, something may have been done wrong in the install or you may have gotten a bad hub asy.... you did replace the whole assembly, right?

I will definitely be buying some TIMKEN's soon. best on the market imo. I just went with a cheap replacement for now.

06_crewcab_ss

May 12, 2013
They were replaced by the mechanic my family's been taking their stuff to for years. But that doesn't rule out a bad hub assy. Yes the whole hub was replaced.

Mine were done with what my mechanic said was the best, course he coulda just been trying to make money. He said the new gm ones were redesigned or something. Next set will definitely be Timkens.

I'll be throwing it up in the air tomorrow to see if I have any play in them to hopefully figure out if its the bearings or not