VatoZone vs Spicer BJs

Oct 16, 2011
SoCal
So Ive got some Bulletproof arms that needed rebuilt. I got new bushings from Brian @ Bulletproof and got that squared away, now came time for ball joints. These arms are used on their lift kit and use bigger BJs than the oem ones on my 05 ccsb, which is not a problem since Im gonna run their spindle too. At first I bought some BJs from vatozone but decided I would give the Spicer/Raybestos ones a try and since they were cheaper on rockauto, i said fidil.

Once I got the stuff from rockauto, first thing I noticed was that the boots are glued to the BJ body, which I like since its less likely to get shit in there, BUT when I compared BJ travel, I noticed this:

Click image to enlarge

VatoZone BJs have way more travel than the ones from rockauto...how is that possible?

VZ BJs have lil slots cut into the rim of the body to allow the pin to move a lil more. IDK if it makes them any weaker at all, but thats a good extra chunk of travel, so Im going with those. BJs are for a 4x4 OBS 1500.

Both units are greaseable and look just as beefy, but the extra travel is what I liked....plus they have lifetime warranty at any vz.

Many times, bigger name companies makes parts, and relabel them for whatever reasons. I say go with what makes you feel better, and if they both provide the same warranty, why not?

I did this with my moog and masterpro parts from Oreilly's.

I would think that the groove making for more travel is worse. Yeah you can get more movement but they will also be easier to pop at a higher angle. I've had my experience with VZ bj's in the past. I went through about 3 sets on my 2000 blazer over the course of 3 years until I finally got some Moogs and never had to do them again. Up to you, but I'd just avoid VZ parts all together.