Trans temp gauge

Slammed2000

Jun 10, 2013
Ok I'm putting a transmission temp gauge on my 2000 silverado, it's a 4l60e trans, is the test port right above the shift linkage?? And will I need a extender or can I just thread the temp sender in?

Can you add the trans temp stepper and just get a new overlay? Or would that not work

Well I already have gauge and have it ran, I'll stick with what I got I just got to find out if that is the test port, and if I need a test port extender

I know this is a few days old, but id like to throw out another option ill be using soon.

instead of spending 200-500 bucks on a cluster for looks and one extra gauge Ill be ordering a Bullydog watch dog ($200 ebay) or a edge CTS insight. Both are not programmers, they are just their hand helds with the feature of scanning all sensors on the truck. So with that being said you could spend the same money or less and be able to view alot more than just a Trans temp. Every vehicle iv tuned with my Hptuners has the Trans temp sensor (99+), it just does not have a gauge unless its a esky/denali/2500gas.

So using such a device you should be able to read the trans temp on your 99

Can you add the trans temp stepper and just get a new overlay? Or would that not work

I tried this when I briefly owned my 04 rcsb. Had guy come to work and he changed all stepper motors and lights, added my new overlay. Even added stepper motor and needle. It sure didnt work. I do believe computer needed to be flashed to make it work properly. But it looked good.

Hope it helps.

Before

After ( later adjusted the needle to sit evenly )

Last edited:
Using the existing sensor is also a much more accurate measurement.

Aftermarket gauges who's senders thread into the drivers side port are usually above the fluid line, this means you are really only reading case temp, not fluid temp.

Fluid temp is ideally what you want to measure, by the time your case air is over temp you're probably fu(ked anyway its too late.

I don't know how much I agree with how accurate existing sensor is. Maybe compared to the placement you just explained though.

I have a full sweep tapped and threaded straight into Hughes cast pan and differs quite a bit with Aeroforce readout from obd port.