Teach me to GEARS

nickyreno

Oct 7, 2013
Lake Tahoe, NV
2008 Sierra Denali G80 = Positraction/Locking rear axle and GU6 = 3.42

Will be running 295/55-20 or 305/55-20 on 20x10 wheels and leveling kit. I want gears that balance well between street and freeway. I was thinking 4.11's but wanted to get some input from you guys.

you shouldnt be bad with your stock gearing. 4.10's would help city but hurt you highway. but 3.73's arent worth the amount that it costs to regear.

geoff drove around for like 5 years with that gearing and 35's

i would run what you have, and if you feel the truck has no balls then worry about changing them.

NOTE realize no matter what you do, your gas mileage is going to go down in some way because you will have a heavier tire on the truck. and it takes more to make that bitch turn.

for 33's i would bother doing an gears.

If the rear end goes out, get a tru trac and 3.73's.

I have 3.73s and 33's and it works great, got plenty of pull for a little 4.8

I went from 3.42s to 4.56s in my old crew cab and to be honest, it didnt feel much different. Sure it was different, but not as drastic and everyone makes it out to be

wait didnt the 08's only have 4speeds?

just stick with those gears not worth the 880 for front/rear truetrack and another 500-700 bucks for install unless you get like 35's. like bryan said i rode with 3.73's for like 3 years on 35's and only complaint i had was lack of go from stop, no go once i hit 2nd gear.

Its an 08 with the 6.2, those always got the 6 speed IIRC. I had 4.10s with 285s and it was awesome but they were stock, for 33s I wouldn't bother with gears unless you had 3.08s or something similar.

you shouldnt be bad with your stock gearing. 4.10's would help city but hurt you highway. but 3.73's arent worth the amount that it costs to regear.

geoff drove around for like 5 years with that gearing and 35's

i would run what you have, and if you feel the truck has no balls then worry about changing them.

NOTE realize no matter what you do, your gas mileage is going to go down in some way because you will have a heavier tire on the truck. and it takes more to make that bitch turn.

Especially since you're a 6-speed. I'd think 33s with that gearing wouldn't be too bad.

Noice. Thank you gentleman.

Its an 08 with the 6.2, those always got the 6 speed IIRC. I had 4.10s with 285s and it was awesome but they were stock, for 33s I wouldn't bother with gears unless you had 3.08s or something similar.

Correct

285/70R17 Goodyear MTR. Measured all of 33", yea I do know they are 33s just was easier to type that.

Last edited:
Yes always when referring to GM Trucks. Its the norm that when referring to 285/305s your referring to a 70 or 65 series tire...

its a given around these parts