Steering box/balancing/alignment issues

Moore

Feb 12, 2012
Maryland
So I got my gmc 20's mounted on some used tires and the place I got them from had a little trouble balancing them so I told them no big deal I'll just get it done at pepboys (where I work). So I go to get an alignment at work, and the dude tells me I need a new steering box and that he couldn't properly do the alignment. I drove the truck and it drives better than it did on the 16's and much straighter too, however the tires wobble like they weren't balanced correctly. I tell him to re-align it and he refuses to do it, saying I still need a new steering box. I guess he told all the other mechanics there the same story because they don't want to touch it either. I'm aware that the obs steering has much to be desired and I'm also okay with that, I've also read on gmt400 that a new steering box does not fix the problem.

The mechanic that worked on my truck is a worthless lazy piece of shit, so im thinking that he just didnt balance them properly because all he keeps telling me is to get a new steering box and take the 20's off, because they are too big for my truck. My truck drives in a...fairly straight line like I said but the tires wobble like fuck, to a point where I can barely steer it where I need it to go. He's saying that balancing has nothing to do with this, that the steering box is the cause of this. Basically what I'm asking is, is this true? I don't want to go in tomorrow looking like an idiot when I try to get someone else to fix it

you can adjust the box, but be careful, if you go to much it will bind or tear up the gears inside.

easiest way to tell if the box is fucked. have someone get in your truck and lay under it, have them wiggle the steering wheel to the point it gets hard with the truck off, if the imput shaft is moving and the pitman arm isnt, then their may be excessive play.

normally the issue is the pitman arm though.