OBS Oil Pressure

Chris.G.Jr.

Apr 29, 2012
Bartlesville, Oklahoma
ok so my truck has always done this when we first bought it we replaced the oil pump and the pressure gauge reads about 60 when driving but when stopped at idle it goes down close to 20, sometimes its a bit above and sometimes the needle bounces at idle.
Is this normal? or what should it be reading?

under throttle not going uphill
get-attachment%20(3)_zpsf428b65a.jpg

this is stopped at idle
get-attachment%20(2)_zps94a6870e.jpg

thanks

1995 chevy silverado 5.7 tbi

My OBS will idle at 40 PSI cold and run at 60-70 PSI when the oil is cold, once everything is warmed up it will idle at 10-15 PSI run at 40 PSI under light throttle and 60 under heavy acceleration. You are just fine, in my experience, the LSx engines seem have a little higher oil pressure than the old gen I small blocks.

weird thing is tho after i start it and drive it for a while it does go down between 40 and 60 (closer to 40) when cruisin but when i give it the least bit of gas itll jump up to round 60 is that weird? or is it just bc its under throttle?

this would be normal correct?
IMG_3085_zps4567cd81.jpg

and a question i put some of the ac stop leak stuff in the system and while my truck was running it kept idleing up and the oil pressure would rapidly go up and down and the ac compressor would be spinning then all of a sudden stop for a sec then start spinning again

yes that pressure is normal. how far would it move the rpm's change a little when the compressor kicks on and off. that ac stop leak is garbage would have taken it to a shop with a ac machine and have them look

it would only jump 1-300 but i had it in a shop and the guy said the compressor was leaking and i figured thats what needed to be replaced but now im not to sure whether or not thats the only thing that needs replacing or not...

yes the compressor shuts off and starts back up, it cycles the compressor to regulate pressure in the system. that stop leak shit sucks BTW