NEW CAR PREP: 2013 Chevy Equinox LT2 AWD

DylanVK

Jun 5, 2012
With the move to Colorado it was time to get my wife something new for winter driving. Her FWD 08 Equinox on summer tires wasn't gonna cut it. So a week ago today we picked up a 2013 Equinox LT2 V6 with AWD and a couple of other goodies like nav, backup cam, mylink, etc.

The color is unusual, but I like it - Steel Green Metallic... looks gray sometimes, looks kinda green others.

Gotta say I'm thoroughly impressed with this little suv... leaps and bounds ahead of what we had in the 08. Fit and finish is great, and the V6 has some serious get up and go for a crossover. Much more pep than the Edge we had driven and ultimately decided against.

So heres the start... not in horrible shape. Based on the build date it hadn't been on the lot long and the 'damage' was pretty light. Just looked a little dull... paint was very rough so clay was a definite need.

file_zps09085022.jpg

file_zps370d8213.jpg

file_zps5539186a.jpg

file_zpsb1d54657.jpg

Started with a complete and very heavy foaming... the 36* weather when I started was not pleasant, but I can no longer be accused of only detailing in nice California weather.

file_zps588eb5c9.jpg

file_zps67d87479.jpg

Clay revealed the typical new car nastiness... lots of rail dust and fallout. After just a 2x2 section it was clear I needed to spend some time with the clay.
file_zpsec263998.jpg

file_zps1550092c.jpg

After claying I gave it another blast with the pressure washer, misted heavily with detail spray and pulled inside to start drying with a Great White Drying Towel

file_zps4c55c646.jpg

After she was dry out came the Porter Cable 7424xp, Flex 3401, and some new prototype pads I'm working on. Don't worry... they're still a ways off.
Each panel was worked individually... some required a prototype cutting compound to make real headway, the rest just a pass of FMP. Because this was partially testing in addition to a new car prep I bounced back and forth between the machines to test.

file_zpsf89902f8.jpg

file_zps0e5eee5a.jpg

file_zps936324e8.jpg

file_zps5bac4542.jpg

file_zpse7021f45.jpg

Next I had to pull the dealer badge/sticker off the back. Luckily b/c it was still fresh it peeled off pretty easy. A little APC and the corner of my great white drying towel did the job or removing the tiny bit of adhesive left behind.
file_zpsc9e4dd2d.jpg

Buffed it out with 4" focus pads and you'd never know it was there.
file_zpsa89a4931.jpg

Next was trim dressing. Super VRT was applied to all exterior trim using a super block sponge. I also treated the engine compartment using Super VRT where I could reach. The tires got a healthy dose as well applied with a pro-tire hex grip applicator. I went back over and hit hard to reach areas with In & Out Spray.
file_zps73038d48.jpg

file_zpsa438f5dc.jpg

file_zpsc2b78a2c.jpg

file_zpse285229d.jpg

file_zps1b1b62f1.jpg

file_zps02ced569.jpg

file_zps759425c1.jpg

Since I am going for all out protection on this for the winter I opted to apply Machine Super Sealant using the Flex 3401 and a Gen4 Gray pad.
file_zps94234082.jpg

file_zps76d1b52d.jpg

file_zps647c1dba.jpg

file_zps4c3d19b2.jpg

file_zps422a5d58.jpg

file_zps89368796.jpg

So with a layer of Machine Super Sealant setting up and a colder/damp day outside I figured I had 45minutes to an hour of cure time to be on the safe side.
file_zps27bc3c6c.jpg

While the Machine Super Sealant was curing I started on the inside... I've shown this prototype interior quick detailer before. Its actually been the only product I've used on my truck since it was purchased. Since the Equinox is pretty much spotless inside I figured it would go the same way.

file_zpsb93d46df.jpg

I treated all the interior panels, armrest, etc. and wiped clean with an edgeless utility towel.
file_zps75194c12.jpg

Interior nice and tidy I figured it was time to put a coating of glass sealant on all the exterior glass.
file_zps53ce445b.jpg

file_zps0461cd6d.jpg

Buffed the residue off the glass with a microfiber glass towel and a few squirts of Glass Cleaner.
file_zpsadd160d3.jpg

By now the Machine Super Sealant was setup and ready for removal. All the residue was removed using a Single Soft towel.
file_zps392a0d0c.jpg

I used a high intensity LED flashlight to inspect things as I went to make sure the residues were coming off cleanly and I hadn't missed any imperfections during the buffing process.

file_zps4783c7ca.jpg

file_zpsa86b7c20.jpg

file_zps7f3555d4.jpg

file_zps5d3583ce.jpg

file_zpsdd965a19.jpg

file_zps8298da55.jpg

The wheels were definitely going to need protection... I used quick sealant to provide protection to the front end tight spots and wheels.

file_zps0dfd0e07.jpg

file_zps61d5af27.jpg

Last but not least, I added a set of new weathertech digital fit floor mats (available for purchase thru Adam's Polishes for your car, truck, or SUV by calling us at 866.965.0400 if you're interested)

file_zps661a7838.jpg

file_zps04ff579d.jpg

file_zps8574db04.jpg

And the finished product:
file_zps2cd880ad.jpg

file_zpsf220cab6.jpg

file_zps43b33035.jpg

Reflections in metallic? Not easy.
file_zpsd98b2b23.jpg

file_zps4850ed96.jpg

file_zps4c90bd6e.jpg

file_zpse25f7dae.jpg

file_zps190fbc5c.jpg

file_zps7d1685e0.jpg

file_zps8cc3abdc.jpg

file_zpse9f80756.jpg

file_zps0ea15fc6.jpg

file_zps1a2fbdb6.jpg

Thanks for looking, hope you enjoyed.

The new Equinoxs are nice, personally like the block looks of the terrain more but looks great since you gave it some love.

file_zpsadd160d3.jpg

Also I see you prepaired your face for the cold weather, pretty BAMF beard

I like the looks of the terrain as well but the wife likes the Equinox so being as it is for her we own an Equinox...... it's a 12 LTZ and he loves it....

Sent from my Motorola Xyboard

nice, my wife and I bought the exact same thing today except we just went with the FWD. Vut yeah, steel green, nav, sunroof, backup v6. Its pretty awesome.

i had my mom order me those floormats for christmas, i cant wait to get them.

Dylan, What do you normally use on the floor mats, i have used the interior conditioner, VRT and in and out,

VRT holding up the best, but too slippery, and interior holding up the worst, but not bad slip wise.

i had my mom order me those floormats for christmas, i cant wait to get them.

Dylan, What do you normally use on the floor mats, i have used the interior conditioner, VRT and in and out,

VRT holding up the best, but too slippery, and interior holding up the worst, but not bad slip wise.

I use nothing. I pull them out, rinse, saturate with APC, scrub with fender brush, rinse, dry. Put back in.

No point in dressing something you're going to step on anyways. The risk of slip is high when you use anything that lasts and the first time you get in they're going to show footprints anyways. Winter mats like the weathertechs are 'beaters' I have a brand new set of lloyds Luxe mats waiting to go into both rides when spring gets here.