Leveling kit or lift

Ritchdmax

Sep 22, 2013
Was wondering what should i do after this winter put a leveling kit or a lift?? In my province the lift law is 6inch max. And what tire and rims should i get for the truck? And what is the best brand to go with??

Pretty broad question so I'll give you "If it was me" answers.

I would level until you really wanted to spend the money on a lift, or know how high you actually want to go.
You can fit 35's on a level with some trimming. If you're not into trimming, or the "stuffed" look, 33's will fit just fine. Rims are all personal preference I think, it really comes down to size, color and offset.
I would stick with a 10 ply tire, all terrains or mud terrains. Toyo, BFG, and Nitto are popular brands.

You'll get a leveling kit and just want to go higher. Don't waste your time with a leveling kit

You'll get a leveling kit and just want to go higher. Don't waste your time with a leveling kit

Could go completely the other way, I wanted a 6" lift leveled planning on lifting later down the road and made me not want a lift atleast not any bigger than 3"

If u daily or work out of your truck, just level it with some 17" h2 stocks and some 315's with a little plastic trimming imo.

Sent from my fuckin iPad

http://customgm.com/photos/5362-dat-lbz.html his set up is perfect IMO i know it 2wd but in ride height and stance this is the best option IMO
but DNW H2 rims unless you get a sweet deal on them since everybody and their mother has them, and if you don't lift it you will have money left for a nicer set of rims and turs

Last edited:
Yeah, I'd say just do a level as well. If it were me in your situation, I'd pick up the Rough Country level kit for a half ton (the 1/2 ton keys crank farther than 3/4 tons do) and throw it on. I had the RC level kit on my half ton with their shocks and it rode good IMO, or you could pick up some Bilsteins. Then some nice chrome 20x10s and some nice meaty tires (I prefer Nitto Trail Grapplers) and call it good.

Do that, some tow mirrors, debadge/demold, some color matching and she'll be a whole new truck

Yeah, I'd say just do a level as well. If it were me in your situation, I'd pick up the Rough Country level kit for a half ton (the 1/2 ton keys crank farther than 3/4 tons do) and throw it on. I had the RC level kit on my half ton with their shocks and it rode good IMO, or you could pick up some Bilsteins. Then some nice chrome 20x10s and some nice meaty tires (I prefer Nitto Trail Grapplers) and call it good.

Do that, some tow mirrors, debadge/demold, some color matching and she'll be a whole new truck

Not sure if I would put 1/2 ton leveling keys in it, that would be a lot of crank, regular 1/2 ton keys are the same as leveling keys for a 3/4 ton. There have been a few guys on here recently with 1/2 tons that have gotten leveling kits, I would pm one of them and make an offer on their stock keys. Shocks 99% are going to say Bilstien but I agree with Huck I have Rough Country shocks and like them. I have the N2.0 and as much as I like them I'm considering upgrading to the 2.2s.

^True, I didn't think about that. Just get some stock 1/2 ton keys and a 1" bigger block for the rear, gave my buddy's boss my keys when I put in my level kit and his duramax sits perfectly level and I think he's got some more bolt left too. Another thing that I just thought about too, I'm sure shocks for a 1/2 ton wouldn't be stiff enough for a 3/4 ton so call Bilstein and see what they recommend for your truck. They'll be a little more money, but going the level route is much cheaper than a lift, so you could splurge a little on shocks.

get the ccm keys for a 2500. I had those on my lmm and I sat .5" cali up front and still had like half the bolt left to crank.. Look on norcaltruck.com at some of there leveling kit packages. Keys, ucas and new shocks will make the truck ride x10000000 times better. Best way to go imo

If u daily or work out of your truck, just level it with some 17" h2 stocks and some 315's with a little plastic trimming imo.

Sent from my fuckin iPad

This.

Mine was a 1500HD so it sits around 1.5" lower than a 2500HD, but just to give you an idea of the look:

DSCF0994.jpg

DSCF0995.jpg

This was just leveling keys and 1.5" blocks with longer shocks & 315 BFG ATs

^True, I didn't think about that. Just get some stock 1/2 ton keys and a 1" bigger block for the rear, gave my buddy's boss my keys when I put in my level kit and his duramax sits perfectly level and I think he's got some more bolt left too. Another thing that I just thought about too, I'm sure shocks for a 1/2 ton wouldn't be stiff enough for a 3/4 ton so call Bilstein and see what they recommend for your truck. They'll be a little more money, but going the level route is much cheaper than a lift, so you could splurge a little on shocks.

Lower mounts on front shocks are different between 1/2 and 3/4