ITGuy's 2003 Sierra 1500/2500 4x4 RCLB Build Thread

that's interesting. I've never seen them on a separate switch. I thought they were wired into the running lights or something like that.

They should be, I've never saw a truck with a button. It's not stock.

Sent from my Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk

Cab Lights
IMG_20140527_223007_703_zpsa81bb959.jpg

After trying the button, it toggles on and a small yellow LED lights up but nothing else. I can hear a small 'clunk' possibly a relay. The cab lights on top come on when I turn the key so I will have to wait until daylight to see if they can be manually toggled.

This truck was shipped from the plant as an 'incomplete truck' or cab & chassis.. and then Reading added the utility body etc to it. They could have added it.. unless someone else here can chime in about optional cab lights ?

Bed Light
IMG_20140527_223020_318_zps3c1577cc.jpg

long bed love!

Lol yep. No plans for chop-chop SB conversion as of yet.

Le GF picked me up this inexpensive set to cover my worn out steering wheel until I can buy a new one.
I'd like 'tray' style floormats the same as these.. they have better coverage. Good for now.
IMG_20140528_183316_149_zps10140fe4.jpg

Also, say hello to Mr. Thirsty. New tank fuel neck, vent and ground.
I'll be installing it this weekend when I pull the bed again.
IMG_20140528_183509_508_zps86f330c5.jpg
IMG_20140528_183500_908_zpsdb068870.jpg

Still working on getting supplies to do some body work, treat and coat frame + parts I am swapping over from 1500.

Last edited:
I'm going to order some treatment and sealer today... just not sure what.
After reading POR 15 results, I will probably go with another Eastwood product,
or something that does't require so much prep.

take a look into KBS Coatings. I sat through a demo of it, really interesting with its steps. i think the sample kit i bought was like 20 bucks.

Yeah I wish I could sand blast / soda blast but I don't have the stuff. If I had a place to do it...
I will give it another look.. maybe I can move the truck somewhere and do it over a weekend.

So far my plans for frame cleaning are to

-I'll do the back 1/2 first - removing the bed.
-I'll use my angle grinder on all the visible surface rust and a bit beyond each area
- Use a rust dissolver like TNT anti-rust Gel and anti-rust spray.
- 2-3 layers Chassis Saver to create a hard shell around the frame / parts.. can be sprayed and brushed on.
- And then if I choose, a top coat for an added layer of protection

I don't think there is a faster way of doing it that will offer more protection.
I don't mind puting the work in if it's going to hold up for years vs. 1 season.

Lot's to do.. contacting paint shop this week to start fishing for quotes.

Still looking at lifts, tires & rims to boot. Can't even decide on 35's on 20's or 37's on 22's.
I am focusing on just getting the truck cleaned up and in good working form for the most part.
Still gotta fab that HD hood too..

Hard to stay focused...

:catacid:

Last edited:
Maybe 35's on 20-22's w/ 6" lift. If I go up I don't want to have to change things out anymore.
37's might pose an issue getting in & out of my garage..

I don't want to lift while the truck looks like crap + needing bodywork, so that comes first.
I only want to lift once.. set it and forget it.

They will never go bald with how much I drive. lol That's why I am thinking about doing it all in one shot.
More money up front but will probably last a lifetime for me, not even exaggerating.

I'll give it some more thought. Plenty to keep me busy. GF is headed to Asia next week on business so I have 4-5 weeks of truck time.
Progress is gonna be good as long as funding is there of course.