Issues with 4HI and 6HI mod

J_Corr

Mar 27, 2012
I attempted to do this stupid simple MOD and for some reason I shit the bed on it HUGE. I can't seem to get it to work. When I picked up my diode's they didn't have 4004's. Only 4007. THey do the same thing just the 4007 have a higher tolerance. Installed them w/o heat shrink and no dice. Here's a few pics of me testing them. Lights work like normal with both diodes. I know the diode in the pic is showing the DRL but they don't work either. SO confused :S

78186a05.jpg

251be808.jpg

I'm guessing your truck is a 2000? If so the way you did it works on the 03-07 IIRC. On the 99-02 for the 4-hi mod, just ground the yellow wire on the headlight on the passenger side.

85 pin to 85 pin right? as well as the 85 pin going into the 85 hole via fuse box cover?

If I'm looking at it right, both the diagram you used, and your setup both have the diode backwards. Current flows from the anode to the cathode(side with the ring). Current should flow from the 85 pin of the HI to the 85 pin of the low. You have the diode backwards so it is stopping the flow. That is, unless it is ground switched rather than 12v+ switched, then it is the correct way. It's been a while since I did the diode trick.

Last edited:
IIRC i went off the diagram above and It didnt work for me.... I think you just need to swap the diode around with the ring facing the other way.
try it and report back

Well i will admit it. I am a retard. Had the Diodes going to the wrong relay. Proceed to make fun....

the silver ring should be pointing at the high 85 pin

IIRC i went off the diagram above and It didnt work for me.... I think you just need to swap the diode around with the ring facing the other way.
try it and report back

Well i will admit it. I am a retard. Had the Diodes going to the wrong relay. Proceed to make fun....
I'm a flipping genious :bawss:
If I'm looking at it right, both the diagram you used, and your setup both have the diode backwards. Current flows from the anode to the cathode(side with the ring). Current should flow from the 85 pin of the HI to the 85 pin of the low. You have the diode backwards so it is stopping the flow. That is, unless it is ground switched rather than 12v+ switched, then it is the correct way. It's been a while since I did the diode trick.

Reactions: Andrew.
the direction was right. direction flowing out of High's 85 I just pulled the wrong Relay. I suck

Can you post a picture of it corrected? And which diode/where did you get it? You only need one diode? I'm going to be doing this soon and don't want to use GMFS's shitty search for the 4hi mod.

yeah for sure. I will take and post a pic today/tomorrow.

Any diode IN4004-IN4007 will work. I paid $0.60 each.

Couldn't you just use the 9001 for highs and lows? Kinda like using a 9005 in the lows. Just need to trim one of the tabs a bit.