How to keep your autoheadlights with HIDS

HackMcMaster

Jun 26, 2012
Dunes
I know there are many ways to address this issue, im trying to keep them all in one place, please let me know if you know of another way and i can add it to this post

A time relay and a voltage relay the time relay delays obvi and the voltage relay waits till u have the car started by sensing the increase voltage from the alternator, the problem with the time is u have to wait the problem with the voltage is you can't turn your headlights on without the car running you can either use both to have neither problem, either in the power circuit itself or the sensor circuit, I'm going to put it in the sensor circuit so you have no delay when you turn the headlight switch

time relay
http://www.retrosolutionsllc.com/ser...elay-10/Detail

voltage sensitive relay
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HID-d...-/290579674553

use either of these two in your HID relay harness and it would work fine but you get the aforementioned issues

here are a few other options

put a normal 5 pin relay in the sensor circuit pin 30 goes to the BCM, pin 87a goes to a 2K(?) resistor and then to pin 87 forming a 2kohm bridge between the two then connect 87 to the sensor wire
^ what this does is when this relay is not triggered it forces the sensor wire to go through a 2K ohm resistor so it thinks that it is sunny outside, when we trigger this relay which i will get to the sensor acts as normal so if its dark outside it kicks the headlights on, if its night out, well the headlights stay off

Note: the resistor should be whatever size people say to use to disable them I believe it is 2K

now the other two posts on the relay 85 goes to ground and i will get to 86

for the VSR hook 85 to ground, then 86&30 to a rap circuit and hook this 87 of the VSR to 86 on the relay interupting the sensor wire
wire the time relay the same way

doing the above method you will get auto headlights when the vehicle is started or if you turn the ignition on for a few seconds without starting it, but if you flip the headlight switch they will turn on with no delay

you can use either relay or both i like the idea of both here is what you lose if you only use one:
if you only use the time relay: once the car is started the timer resets before the HIDS turn on, so your still sitting in the dark
if you only use the Voltage relay: you have to have the car running to turn the headlights on, with both you could flip the ignition on and a few seconds later the headlights would come one, however since we interfered with the signal wire you could just flip the headlight switch and they would instantly come on

depending on the pinout of the relays if you just want to use just one then you could use it as the relay in the signal circuit

additionally, instead of putting it in the signal circuit you could put them both in the power feed and you will get auto headlights when the vehicle is started or if you turn the ignition on for a few seconds without starting it
its essentially the same but you lose instant on with the headlight switch

another option would be to put a switch on something (parking brake/gear selector)

a momentary spdt switch wire the common to the BCM NC to other end of the sensor wire, and bridge the NC and NO with the resistor
this will disable the autoheadlights whenever the switch is engaged, if u want autoheadlights whenever the switch is disengaged
wire the common to the BCM, NO to other end of the sensor wire, and bridge the NC and NO with the resistor

this will keep your autoheadlights working in conjunction with the switch, but your headlight switch will work at any time

you could replace the VSR with an RPM switch also

Sticky Worthy?

I've had mine for 1.5 years, I'm just providing options for those who think they should disable them

Sent from a secure terminal using the classified military network

On my 05 Chebby, I just took a piece of wire with male connectors on each end (the blue ones)
wire_connectors.jpg

Unplugged the sensor from the dashboard, and put it back for a dummy. Then just put the ends of the wire into the connector to fool it into thinking it's always light outside and ziptied the connector to the support under the dash. No more auto lights.

Not long after that, I realized in my DIC there's an option for "light delay". That way the lights won't come on when you turn the key and dim/go off while you're cranking the truck. So there's another option

On my 05 Chebby, I just took a piece of wire with male connectors on each end (the blue ones)
wire_connectors.jpg

Unplugged the sensor from the dashboard, and put it back for a dummy. Then just put the ends of the wire into the connector to fool it into thinking it's always light outside and ziptied the connector to the support under the dash. No more auto lights.

Not long after that, I realized in my DIC there's an option for "light delay". That way the lights won't come on when you turn the key and dim/go off while you're cranking the truck. So there's another option

The idea behind this is too keep ur auto headlights not disable them, I'll have to look into dat dic option though

Sent from a secure terminal using the HD classified network

I dont have that delay in MY DIC ('04)

I vote for sticky - IF YOU PUT SOME PERIODS AND COMMAS in it. Just makes it a bit easier to read is all.