Dropping Gpa's 4x4 NBS. Do I got the right idea?

Yeajimi

Aug 15, 2012
What's up everyone. I recently inherited my late grandfather's 2001 Silverado Std. cab. It comes with a 4x4 and 5.3L. I was planning on a 4/6 drop and recently started putting together a budget for the suspension drop. I have pieced a kit together for about $1k. I would have opted for a preconfigured kit but most of the kits don't specify 4x4 or the cab layout. Would you pro's mind sanity checking my findings? I am new to the truck scene but I think I have done my homework.

Front:

2" drop spindle - McGaughy - 33004
2" drop spring - McGaughy - 33008
Street performance shock - Belltech - 2212FF

Rear:

6" Rear flipkit - DJM - DJMFK2599-6X
Street performance shock - Belltech - 2212FF
2" Shock Extender - McGaughy - 33036
C Notch - McGaughys - 33003
Small Bumpstop - McGaughy - 33003

I was pretty thorough and think I covered everything. Aside from what is listed, perhaps a bushing set is in order. Thanks in advance for the advice guys.

i dont think you have springs up front since your 4wd.
mcg notch should come with all hardware including bumpstops.
Street perf shocks are nice for the money imo thats what i have.

The rear setup will work great, as for the front you will have to run mcgaughys 17+ 2" spindle because of the cv axles and jimmy is right about the coils, 4x4s have torsion bars up front..the cheapest/easiest way would be to get some aftermarket drop keys or 2500 keys and decrank until you get it how you want it, being that you only wanna go 4/6 I would reccomend this way any lower and I would suggest lcas and spindles..belltech street performance shocks are a good choice imo

I have right at $1k in my whole drop.. spindles, flip kit, shocks, notches, shackles, and blocks..the 2500 keys I'm running came off my dads old duramax so they were free but you should be able to get some at a salvage yard fairly cheap, fully decranked 2500 keys netted me 3" of drop so you shouldn't have to decrank all they way for 4"
If you can spare the extra $$ I would suggest looking into a helper bag setup, not a necessity but they will increase the ride quality and allow you to adjust if you need to tow or haul anything heavy

First, :welcome:

Don't drop a 4x4 :facepalm3: It'll be like :doublepuke:

wrong, case in point
image.php

Put new wheels and tires on my 4x4 - Chevy Truck Forum | GMC Truck Forum - GmFullsize.com

fugly :imo:

edit*
actually, the truck looks good but why waste a 4x4 like that?

:gtfo:

And it is not a waste, that is Oleg's truck, he is in Canada, and 4wd can come in pretty handy for him in the winter where a 2wd truck would be pretty useless to him. Not to mention he has since converted it to full time AWD.

To the OP, as mentioned your rear setup is fine, but up front you have torsion bars, not coil springs. You will need spindles and lowering keys. The stock keys from a 2500HD will actually work, you should be able to find a set easily from someone who has installed a leveling kit and removed their stock keys. FYI 00-06 SUVs and certain later model 2wd trucks shared the same torsion bar suspension as the 4wds, those parts will work for you.

Last edited:
I live in the north east and see snow every winter, so 4x4 will still be used periodically. I am receiving this truck for next to nothing, the body and interior are clean. As my grandfather was diagnosed with a terminal disease that eventually ended his life, he was all about getting his work truck (260k) fixed up. He fixed dents to the bed, debadged the tailgate, refoamed and upholstered the seats and got the whole truck detailed. I could tell he wanted to have a nice truck to drive around and I want to finish up where he left off.

I am looking to keep the truck's handling intact. My question is should I look into coupling drop spindles and LCA's for the 4" front drop (with a stock height spring)? I heard that adjusting the ride height with the key method doesn't produce the best handling, is this true? I am looking to put money into this vehicle, as it will be a DD for the next decade if all goes well.

You guys have been very helpful, its nice not to be told "SEARCH!!!!!", lol.

Would LOVE to have a slammed 4x4 and make it go fast; that launch would be fun. Droppin a 4x4 can get pricey as you can see, but imo its not a waste - listed to Dakota and he will lead you down the right path.

Sorry about your Grandpa as well.

I am looking to keep the truck's handling intact. My question is should I look into coupling drop spindles and LCA's for the 4" front drop (with a stock height spring)? I heard that adjusting the ride height with the key method doesn't produce the best handling, is this true? I am looking to put money into this vehicle, as it will be a DD for the next decade if all goes well.

Mine handles good with fully decranked keys, lcas and spindles would give you a better ride but the cost is a lot more..you will be fine with spindles and keys.
Start out this way and if you decide you aren't happy you can get lcas from there but I think you will be happy with it and save yourself a few hundred $$ imo

It's definitely a plus that I can swap some OEM parts in and get the desired effect (aside from spindles). Thanks for advice guys, I look forward to modifying the truck!

It's definitely a plus that I can swap some OEM parts in and get the desired effect (aside from spindles). Thanks for advice guys, I look forward to modifying the truck!

Glad we could help :shake: any other questions don't hesitate to ask

I was looking at tires and wheels recently. Do I have to worry about any additional clearance issues (compared to 2wd guys)?

I was thinking something like a 20x9 20mm offset, with 275/40R20's, just wanted to make sure I wouldn't be rubbing.

No clearence issues other than you can't run anything smaller than 17s, you will be fine with 20s..275/40s won't rub at all..you could even run 45s