Cal Speed LT install

Just pulled the trigger on some LTs. Not CSP or LPPs but figured this would be the place to ask and not get bullshit answers. I've done some reading on the installation process, just want to know if there's some more tips I should be aware of. Truck is 2008 4.8L 2wd with nearly 50k miles, headers will be here in a week.

I've already gotten some PB Blaster or whatever it's called. How many days before installation should I spray it?
Re-using OEM gaskets, okay or is it retarded?
Re-using the OEM bolts or supplied bolts, okay or retarded?

Just pulled the trigger on some LTs. Not CSP or LPPs but figured this would be the place to ask and not get bullshit answers. I've done some reading on the installation process, just want to know if there's some more tips I should be aware of. Truck is 2008 4.8L 2wd with nearly 50k miles, headers will be here in a week.

I've already gotten some PB Blaster or whatever it's called. How many days before installation should I spray it?
Re-using OEM gaskets, okay or is it retarded?
Re-using the OEM bolts or supplied bolts, okay or retarded?

Start spraying those bolts now. When truck is cool. Sprayed mine every night for a week.
I reused my oem gaskets at 80k miles ( personally I wouldnt use supplied gaskets ) and used plenty of gasket sealant.
I also reused OEM bolts as none have broken off. ( personally again I wouldnt run the supplied bolts) or you can take one of your oem bolts and put a gr 8 bolt in its place.

To help with any leaks you may have, wrap the pipe with aluminum foil first then your clamps. ( again I wouldnt use supplied clamps) pick up some band clamps. And tighten it all done well.

I sprayed all my bolts once the night before when the truck was cold. Then as soon as I got up that morning. Then drove the piss out of it to get it good and hot and sprayed them again as soon as I got home. Got a ratchet/socket out and broke the bolts loose as soon as I got done spraying, then let it cool off while I ate lunch so I wouldn't burn the shit outta myself. Didn't have a single problem with bolts, all came out just fine. 05 with 158k at the time.

With only 50k miles, you might could reuse your stock manifold gaskets. But as cheap as they are, I'd get new ones. I used the supplied one with my Cal Speeds.

I wouldn't reuse the stock bolts. Even with so few miles, there's been too many guys that have broken them off. Mine didn't break coming out, but I wasn't gonna risk re-using them only to have them snap when I torqued them down. I went and got new bolts from the parts store. Hang on a sec, I'll look in my install thread and find the bolt specs for ya

Nvrmnd, they were in this thread.
8mm-1.25x25mm
As James said, use plenty of gasket sealant. Copper RTV, the sensor safe stuff is what I used. And James' aluminum foil trick seems to work pretty good. I did that at all the joints where clamps would be, no leaks whatsoever. It's a bit of a PITA to get it to stay/not tear while you're slipping everything together, but it works

I would NOT reuse OEM bolts, fuck that shit. I had two break...used the supplied or go get quality at a fastenal. OEM gaskets are fine to reuse, but at $25, I bought new.

Spray, then drive for a few minutes, spray again after shit is hot. Do for a few day...mine still broke, but what do yo do? I used hi-temp RTV to seal up along with new gaskets. The foil did not work for me, I still got leaks, and my shit was tightened to like 75ftlb

Thanks for the help guys. The Y pipe comes with U bolts, which I've had a surprised amount of luck with for the rest of the exhaust (Corsa dB) so the foil trick is out. If/when they leak I'll take it to the local exhaust shop and have it fully welded since I eventually will be getting rid of the tailpipe and have a dump built utilizing the hanger before the rear axle.

I'll definitely be getting new bolts since having one snap sounds like a horror story.

Got my headers installed. Unfortunately the Y-pipe is a different story. Seems it's too big; hits the cross-member in 2 different places and the flange sticks about 4" past my Corsa flange. Going to have to take it to the exhaust shop some time soon. Kind of disappointed.

O right, ill run straight headers, no y pipe lolololol. The y is part of a header installation

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

You're welcome to come fix my Y pipe Mettali :crazy:

For the record I have the Y on. It's just so Nigerian rigged that it's not going to work and needs to be cut/welded, both of which I don't have the proper tools. And hell naw to running open headers, sounds like hammered bear shit.

Gave me such a hassle I triple checked to see if I had the right one, I guess Pacesetter isn't exactly known for quality though haha.

So these aren't Cal speed headers? For some reason I thought they were. I've still heard issues with y pipe fitment on some trucks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

My Y-pipe didn't look like it'd clear to start with. But I just left everything loose and got the y-pipe put on, then wrestled with it and adjusted it until it cleared everything and tightened it down. A second set of hands would come in handy for this, but I did it by myself

So these aren't Cal speed headers? For some reason I thought they were. I've still heard issues with y pipe fitment on some trucks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

Nah, they aren't CSP. They're ceramic coated Pacesetters. Found a killer deal on them so snatched them up. I don't think I'll be recommending Pacesetter to anyone though (not just b/c of the Y).

Jared:
Do we still have a discount code for buying cal speed headers? Or did he do away with it?

I got my headers sittin in the garage.
Question though, has anyone had a problem with their bolts backing off on their headers, or do they stay tight like factory?