Making a build thread for the LQ4 I bought for my Chevelle. I figured since this build is mostly applicable to everyone here Id separate it from my car build. Axe me anything. Critique my build. Etc Etc. Its not really an LQ anything anymore. Calculated CR on this combo will be about 10.8:1. Parts are - DSS Racing Pistons, LT4 rods, Clevite bearings, Hastings Rings, 243 heads, PRW rockers, BTR Pushrods, Elgin Cam, Truck intake, SLP dual roller timing chain, Melling 10296 Erl pump Day 1. This was April of '17. Found an Lq4 with a 4L80e that was advertised as a drop in. Which was kinda my plan all along. Supposed to have all accessories and harness included. Well, it did have all of that stuff included, but the alternator was seized up, the PS pump was full of dirt, the harness was cut up, etc etc. I talked to guy down to $500 since it was a giant piece of shit. Day 2: The plan was to start tearing it down. However, my wife decided is was a good idea to grow a football sized cyst over the last few years. It was attached to her pancreas. It decided to rupture on this day. This put my plans on hold. I still started the tear down though as I couldn't stay at the hospital. She ended up being ok, just has a huge scar now. Tear Down pics. Once I realized how bad it was, I knew I wasn't going to be able to reuse the SBE. Told the machine shop to clean it up and give me a .030 bore for a 370 build. Dropped the block off and the crank for polish. I waffled about which pistons to buy, rods, etc. Initially I was going to go with SCAT forged H-Beams but came across a set of LT4 rods with bearings for $180. Figured if those rods are good enough for the LT4, theyd be good enough for me. Bought those around xmas, the same time I sold the 396. Here are the rods weighed out. They sent me 10, I picked the 8 that were the closest. I sent those in to get sized. I ended up choosing DSS Forged Pistons. Theyre not coated and that bothers me just a little bit. My kid and I assembled rods and pistons a couple days after xmas. She helped me ring them. I used Hastings rings and checked gap prior to install. Only 1 needed filing for my comfort. We put them in the block the next week. I used ARP 234-6301 Rod bolts here. My kid helped me torque them down. I was really surprised by her interest in this process. Got a price on a SLP double roller. The cam I initially bought was a .598/.601 232/238 113. Apparently too much on the exhaust side because the valves were touching the cylinders. Switched it out for a .575/.575 228/232 112 lil cute thing. It'll be fine. Everything is fine. Heads on and lifter guides installed. 243s shaved to 61cc that I bought like 8 years ago for my NBS when I was having head issues. .600 lift PAC 1218. I will upgrade to dual spring eventually just for piece of mind. I'm trying Earls Performance Head Bolts. They say theyre the same material as ARP but 25% cheaper. Shouldve done head studs? Probably. Initially I had a decent sized cam so I wanted to go with roller tip rockers. Theyre not self aligning hence the need for the guides. Theyre PRW 1.7 ratio Stainless. Quite honestly - they look identical to JEGS/Elgin/Speedmaster shit. Here they are installed and 0 lashed with 2 turns on the poly locks for .081 preload. They just barely clear the heads. Changing the PCV system to the LS7 style with the LS7 valley cover. This will allow me to have a slightly cleaner catch can routing system. Valley cover on and Melling 10296 installed. Also shown are the aftermarket valve covers, heat sink coils, and billet coil brackets. I only loosely installed them here as I still needed to bathe the valve train but didn't have the pan on yet. An oft overlooked detail is the oil pick up tube girdle shown here. Almost guarantees proper o ring seating. GM Muscle Car Swap pan installed. Newish Water pump installed and new balanced crank pulley Now we're caught up to the weekend. I bought some billet brackets to mount the alt and PS pump. However, the seller/manufacturer didn't know that they don't allow clearance for the tall valve covers. Set me back a bit. I got anxious yesterday decided to set the intake on with the Warr performance 92mm TB on it. I had to use an adapter but didn't want a smaller TB for when I swap the intakes out. Going with the truck mani for this second. I did swap out the stock injectors for 8.1 Marine injectors. I just received my new acc brackets today along with t-stat and housing. Headers should be here Wednesday.