Some background.... So about 2 weeks ago, I ordered a big new toolbox for work. I wanted to go on and get something that would last throughout the rest of my career. I ended up upsizing quite a bit, so the hutch I currently have was going to be a bit small. I did some looking around and couldn't find one that was the correct, or even close to, the size of my new box. Since I work at a machine/fab shop, I figured why not just build one. I wanted to document it here since there doesn't seem to be any plans or anyone really making these out of metal. The box this will be going on is a Kennedy mfg Benchmark series. It's 45" long, 24" deep, and 44" tall. It has 8 full width drawers and 6×2 swivel lock casters. These boxes are made to order, so I'm still waiting on it to come in. Once it's here, I can get exact measurements of the top surface and really take off with the build. On to the hutch. The hutch is going to be pretty heavy, raw material is coming in around 200lbs, but the toolbox can more than handle it. My design consists of it being 26" high (total of 70 with the other box), lockable hideaway door, waffle board for hooks, and some LED strip lighting to brighten up the work surface. I'll start with a skeleton of 1x1 steel tubing. My plans are to machine all of the tubing to length, then weld up the entire frame and door to get it all tweaked in and make sure the door operates the way I want it to. I'll also go on and get the LED connectors layed out (more on that later). Once the frame is finished, I'll skin the outside with .060 sheet metal. All of the panels will be individually cut on the waterjet at work, and all of the seams/joints will be welded up and ground smooth. The inner panels will have a waffle board pattern cut into them and they will be bolted into the frame. This will make it easier to hide any wiring I have in the hutch once I get all of my stuff in it (speakers, chargers, power strip, etc). The door will swing out from the bottom and slide back into the top of the box. My design has removable delrin roller pins that allow the door to be completely removed if needed. There will be delrin rest buttons to support the door while it is tucked away. Since the door tucks up into the top of the box, the LED strips will be mounted to the backside of the door. There will be a quick connector mounted at the top of the door and the back of the box. This is so that when you open the door and push it all the way in, a connection to the light is made and it comes on. I'll be ordering a drawer pull that matches the new box, along with a matched lock, to go on the door as well. The lock mechanism will be a simple crossbar, similar to a tailgate latch. I'll finish it all off with a coat of gloss black paint to match the new box. I'll add in pictures of my plans and progress as I go through the build. It will be pretty slow going For now, but once the new box gets in I'm hoping to move through it pretty quickly. For those of you wondering about how much all of this is going to cost, it will probably be under $300. For all of the materials I'm into it $175. The lock and drawer pull shouldn't be any more than another $50. * Update 9/1/17 Here's a picture of my current hutch to give an idea of what I'm going for in the inside. The waffle board pattern will match this on so that I can purchase the proper hooks to go with it. Plans This is the skeletal view of the side panel. The roller pin for the door will ride in between the two tubes at the top. The left of the drawing is the front of the hutch. This also lists the rough sizing of all of the tubing and panels. These are the accurate prints for the vertical bars since the exact box size doesn't affect these. This is the lock bars and cam plate. I replicated the lock mechanism on my current box and adjusted for the additional width. This is the roller pin assembly for the door. It consist of a roller pin, bushing, and cap plate. I'll leave a gap between the pin and the cap plate that allow the pin to rotate freely in the bushing. The cap ate will be attached with button head screws so that you can remove it and the pin to remove the door. I'm hoping to get some of the parts above made today since they are not dependant on the box size. * Update 9/1/17 Mid day I was able to knock out a few parts this morning. I took care of the hinge mechanism and the door rests. The hinge/roller assembled minus the tubing * Update 9/2/17 I waz able to machine all of the vertical pieces of the box today along with the lock bars and cam plate to go with them. I won't be able to make any more progress until the new box comes in. * Update 10/6/17 Finally some progress! I received my new box on Monday and got everything moved over. I took all my measurements and made files to send over to the waterjet. They were able to get them cut Friday enabling me to get going with the final fabrication. I spent about 5 hours getting it all together today. Here's pictures along the way. The final image is my temporary setup until I get the lock and handle in. I should be able to get them ordered Monday or Tuesday. I also have a power strip and sound bar coming from Amazon on Tuesday for it.